NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Pubs ~
Bell ~ Bricklayers Arms, Kent St. ~ Bricklayers Arms, Straits ~ Bull & Butcher ~ Cottage Spring ~ Cross Keys ~ Duke William
Hop and Barleycorn ~ Horse and Jockey ~ Horseshoe ~ Leopard ~ Limerick ~ Limerick (Kent St.) ~ Lion Hotel
New Inn ~ Pear Tree ~ The Queens Head ~ Spriggers Arms ~ Swan ~ White Chimneys ~ White Lion
Crown ~ Durham Ox ~ Five Ways ~ Good Intent ~ Green Dragon ~ Junction ~ Shakespeare ~ Straits House ~ Waggon & Horses
Black Bear ~ Britannia ~ Bulls Head ~ Bush ~ Fiddlers Arms ~ Five Ways (Himley Rd) ~ Forge ~ Fountain ~ Glynne Arms
Jolly Crispin ~ Meadow Lark ~ Miners Arms ~ Old Bulls Head ~ Old Mill ~ Red Cow ~ Red Lion ~ Spills Meadow ~ Woodman
The Old Bulls Head Inn
The 'Top Bull'
Photo CDM 2007
The Old Bulls Head Inn, 1 Redhall Road, Lower Gornal
The pub dates to the mid-Victorian period and known locally as the 'Top Bull' to distinguish it from the Bulls Head on the Himley Road.
The Old Bull has a long history of brewing beer on the premises.
This is a Grade II listed building, still licensed and serving.
The original brewery at the rear of the pub, was refitted in 2004 with a new micro-brewery, and beer brewing began again at the Old Bull.
'Black Country Ales' as it became known, however moved on - expanding into new premises in nearby Pensnett around 2012.
Edward Guest, one of the early licensees was also a butcher.
Edward Guest, age 27 and wife Martha are listed in the 1841 Census as a butcher in Red Hall.
The 1861 Census shows Edward Guest as having a butcher's shop at no.1 Red Hall, presumed to be adjacent to no.2 which was a public house, maybe this could pre-date the present premises.
Brewing would have been a side line, this was often the case with pubs called 'Bulls Head'.
The pub is reputedly haunted by poltergeist and apparitions.
The 'Top Bull' was the headquarters of the Lower Gornal Athletic FC before moving to the new ground in Garden Walk, the pub doubled as the changing rooms and no doubt after-match refreshments!
1850, Edward Francis Guest. [Post Office Directory of Birmingham, Staffordshire & Worcestershire]
1851, Edward Francis Guest, victualler and butcher. [Melville & Co.'s Directory of Wolverhampton]
In 1861, Edward Guest had a butchers shop in Redhall. [Census]1860, Henry Guest, licence transfer from Edward Guest.
1861, Henry Guest. [Harrod's Directory]
1861, John Jones, public house, inn keeper age 34. [Census]
1868, Eli Bradley, (& shopkeeper), [P.O. Directory]
1871, Eli Bradley, aged 38. [Census]
1872, Eli Bradley, also described as shopkeeper. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
In 1861, Eli Bradley had a grocers shop in Redhall, there was also Eli Jnr born 1861. [Census]1881, Eli Bradley. [Census]
1885, Eli Bradley. [ER]
1891, John Bradley, occupation beer brewer. [Census]
1896, Emanuel Bradley also noted as butcher. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1901, Daniel Bradley, publican aged 27. [Census]
1904, Henry Page. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1912, Isaac Bradley. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1915, 1916-1921, Isaac Bradley. [ER], Kelly's
'Ige' Bradley was a well known local character, president of Lower Goral F.C. for 14 years, and ex-councillor for Sedgley UDC. He moved to the Swan Hotel, Tettenhall in 1925. He died on 22nd November, 1929.1924, Thomas Bailey. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1928, James H. Dawes. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1936, Thomas Copson. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1939, John Oakley, publican, b 7 April, 1912. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1940, John Oakley. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
Origin of the pub name 'Old Bull'
Most pub names containing 'Bull' were so called as proprietors
were often connected with butchery usually from the same premises.
this aye fur noggin yeds