NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports ~ Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Pubs ~
~ Bell ~ Bricklayers Arms, Kent St. ~ Bricklayers Arms, Straits ~ Bull & Butcher ~ Cottage Spring ~ Cross Keys ~ Duke William ~
~ Hop and Barleycorn ~ Horse and Jockey ~ Horseshoe ~ Leopard ~ Limerick ~ Limerick (Kent St.) ~ Lion Hotel ~
~ New Inn ~ Pear Tree ~ The Queens Head ~ Spriggers Arms ~ Swan ~ White Chimneys ~ White Lion ~
~ Crown ~ Durham Ox ~ Five Ways ~ Good Intent ~ Green Dragon ~ Junction ~ Shakespeare ~ Straits House ~ Waggon & Horses ~
~ Black Bear ~ Britannia ~ Bulls Head ~ Bush ~ Fiddlers Arms ~ Five Ways (Himley Rd) ~ Forge ~ Fountain ~ Glynne Arms ~
~ Jolly Crispin ~ Meadow Lark ~ Miners Arms ~ Old Bulls Head ~ Old Mill ~ Red Cow ~ Red Lion ~ Spills Meadow ~ Woodman ~
The Old Mill
The Old Mill
Photo CDM 2014
The Old Mill, 6 Windmill Street, Ruiton, Upper Gornal.
The Windmill public house was built by John Hyde in 1852, ownership was transferred to Henry Rollason in 1875 and shortly afterwards to John Clark.
Called 'Windmill Inn' in the 1881 census and Henry Rollason (aged 33) and family lived there, occupation publican & stone mason.
Acquired by Holden's Brewery in 1946.
Recently refurbished and name changed to 'The Mill'.
The pub and street were named after Rewardine windmill, which stood on or very near the pub site, this is shown on an early map of Ruiton.
The 17th Century Rewardine [Ruiton] windmill was Gornal's original mill, all traces of which have long gone, however the remains of the 'new' windmill are still a familiar site on Ruiton's skyline.
1861, John Hyde. [Census]
1871, Mary Hyde, Brewer. [Census]
Mary was John Hyde's wife.1881, Henry Rollason. [Census]
1891, Isaac Clark, beer house keeper. [Census]
1901, James Brown, publican. [Census]
1911, William Naylor, aged 35, Brewer. [Census]
1916-1936, William Naylor, beer retailer. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1940, William Naylor. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
this aye fur noggin yeds