NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Pubs ~
Bell ~ Bricklayers Arms, Kent St. ~ Bricklayers Arms, Straits ~ Bull & Butcher ~ Cottage Spring ~ Cross Keys ~ Duke William
Hop and Barleycorn ~ Horse and Jockey ~ Horseshoe ~ Leopard ~ Limerick ~ Limerick (Kent St.) ~ Lion Hotel
New Inn ~ Pear Tree ~ The Queens Head ~ Spriggers Arms ~ Swan ~ White Chimneys ~ White Lion
Crown ~ Durham Ox ~ Five Ways ~ Good Intent ~ Green Dragon ~ Junction ~ Shakespeare ~ Straits House ~ Waggon & Horses
Black Bear ~ Britannia ~ Bulls Head ~ Bush ~ Fiddlers Arms ~ Five Ways (Himley Rd) ~ Forge ~ Fountain ~ Glynne Arms
Jolly Crispin ~ Meadow Lark ~ Miners Arms ~ Old Bulls Head ~ Old Mill ~ Red Cow ~ Red Lion ~ Spills Meadow ~ Woodman
The Durham Ox
Durham Ox, Hill Street
As a private residence in Hill Street, 2014.
The Durham Ox, 49 Hill Street, Ruiton.
The Durham Ox closed and was converted into a residential house around 1995.
Bilson Annual Licensing Session.
In 1874, Mr Joseph Williams applied for a wine and spirit license and stated that it had already had fourteen years as a beerhouse.
In the 19th Century, Hill Street was called 'Mount Street'.
Tokens were issued around 1920.
1934 Sale Notice: Dudley Chronicle - 19 April.
1874, Joseph Williams. [Applied for wine and spirit license]
1881, Joseph Williams. [Census]
1891, Joseph Williams, beer seller age 52. [Census]
1901, Joseph Williams. [Census]
1911, James Morris, aged 43 beer retailer public House. [Census]
1940, Daniel Marsh. (Kelly's Trade Directory)
Origin of the pub name 'Durham Ox'.
This famous and prized Longhorn toured England in the early 19th Century, later many pubs were so named after it.
Pubs with 'Ox' or 'Bull' as part of the sign were often used where the proprietors were also butchers.
A painting of the Durham Ox in 1804 by George Garrard (1760-1826).
this aye fur noggin yeds