NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports ~ Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Pubs ~
~ Bell ~ Bricklayers Arms, Kent St. ~ Bricklayers Arms, Straits ~ Bull & Butcher ~ Cottage Spring ~ Cross Keys ~ Duke William ~
~ Hop and Barleycorn ~ Horse and Jockey ~ Horseshoe ~ Leopard ~ Limerick ~ Limerick (Kent St.) ~ Lion Hotel ~
~ New Inn ~ Pear Tree ~ The Queens Head ~ Spriggers Arms ~ Swan ~ White Chimneys ~ White Lion ~
~ Crown ~ Durham Ox ~ Five Ways ~ Good Intent ~ Green Dragon ~ Junction ~ Shakespeare ~ Straits House ~ Waggon & Horses ~
~ Black Bear ~ Britannia ~ Bulls Head ~ Bush ~ Fiddlers Arms ~ Five Ways (Himley Rd) ~ Forge ~ Fountain ~ Glynne Arms ~
~ Jolly Crispin ~ Meadow Lark ~ Miners Arms ~ Old Bulls Head ~ Old Mill ~ Red Cow ~ Red Lion ~ Spills Meadow ~ Woodman ~
Gornal has lost many of its old and even not so old pubs like any other area, but there is still no shortage of both traditional and modernised drinking establishments.
Most of the pubs around Gornal date from the middle of the 19th century, many of these older pubs would have had their own brewhouse, during the twentieth century most pubs would have become tied to a particular brewery, however a couple still do brew their own.
After the Duke of Wellington's Beerhouse Act of 1830, it was possible for the sum of two guineas, for a householder to set up a beer house and brewery on their premises, thus the term 'Public House', this resulted in a proliferation of ale and beer houses, often brewing and selling from private dwellings.
In 1869 new licensing laws brought a halt to this expansion, with stricter licensing, however many did continue on as fully licensed public houses.
During this period, virtually every household would have had a brewhouse, or at least have means to brew their own. Gornal quickly became acknowledged all over the Black Country and beyond for it's particularly strong beer.
In the twentieth century, a newspaper report about proposed sugar rationing at the beginning of the war in 1939 states; "Gornal, famed throughout the Midlands for its home brewed beer is to have its position 'recognised' by the government."
It goes on to say that beer is brewed in virtually every house in the district for the thirsty miners and that the quantity of sugar used in Gornal just for this purpose is estimated to be between 10 and 20 tons per week!
See newspaper report of 1939 "Villagers Warned"
Brass Pub check issued by
Isaac Jones from the Limerick Inn
c1910, tokens were issued in
values up to 6D (sixpence).
Sadly missing from the landscape are:
The Bell Inn, Church Street, Lower Gornal.
The Bricklayers Arms - Miners Arms - The Pig On The Wall, Upper Gornal.
The Bricklayers Arms, Straits.
The Bull and Butcher, Ruiton.
The Cottage Spring, Ruiton, Upper Gornal.
The Cross Keys, Ruiton Street, Lower Gornal.
Duke William, Hill Street/Vale Street, Ruiton.
Hop and BarleycCorn, Lower Gornal.
The Horse and Jockey, Dudley Road, Upper Gornal.
The Horse Shoe, Kent Street, Upper Gornal.
The Leopard, Dudley Road, Upper Gornal.
The Limerick, Summit Place, Gornal Wood.
The Limerick, Kent Street, Upper Gornal.
The Lion Hotel (The Exhibition), Kent Street, Upper Gornal.
The New Inn (The Sunshine), Humphrey Street, Lower Gornal.
The Pear Tree, New Street, Gornal Wood.
The Queens Head, New street, Gornal Wood.
The Spriggers Arms/The Ellowes Inn, Lower Gornal.
The Swan, Lake Street, Lower Gornal.
The White Chimneys, Abbey Road, Gornal Wood.
The White Lion, The Fold, Upper Gornal.
Some remain in a different guise:
The Crown, Holloway Street, Ruiton.
The Cottage of Content, Clarence Street, Upper Gornal
Durham Ox, Hill Street, Ruiton.
The Five Ways, Robert Street, Lower Gornal.
Good Intent, Vale Street, Upper Gornal.
The Green Dragon, Kent Street, Upper Gornal.
The Junction, Abbey Street/Louise Street, Gornal Wood.
Straits House, Tennyson Road, Straits.
The Shakespeare, Kent Street, Upper Gornal.
The Wagon and Horses, Ruiton Street, Lower Gornal.
Pubs that are still serving:
The Black Bear (Horse and Jockey), Deepdale Lane.
The Britannia, Kent Street, Upper Gornal.
The Bulls Head, Himley Road, Gornal Wood.
The Bush Inn, Summit Place, Gornal Wood.
The Fiddlers Arms, Straits Road.
The Five Ways, Himley Road, Gornal Wood
The Forge, Chase Road, Gornal Wood.
The Fountain Inn, Temple Street, Lower Gornal.
The Jolly Crispin, Kent Street, Upper Gornal.
Meadowlark, Dibdale Road.
The Miners Arms (Chapel House Inn), Ruiton Street, Lower Gornal.
Old Bulls Head, Redhall Road.
The Old Mill, Windmill Street, Ruiton.
The Red Cow, Grosvenor Road.
The Red Lion, Bank Road, Gornal Wood.
The Spills Meadow, Kent Street, Upper Gornal
The Woodman, Wakelams Fold, Gornal Wood.
Although on the fringes - the most famous....
The Glynne Arms - Crooked House, Himley.
The Cabin Inn, Clarence Street, Upper Gornal.
1881, John Percival, Publican. [1881 census]
1911, Henry Johnson, Inn Keeper, Public House age 46, house apparently located at Nr 52 Clarence Street. [Census]
Cottage Spring, Straits Road. (19th Century)
1871, Thomas Jones. licensee, no other information.
Jone's Drirectory, 1865, lists John Waterfield, Cottage Spring, Upper Gornal.
The Miners Arms, Lake Street, Lower Gornal.
1871, George Bate, Miners Arms, Lake Street, age 43 [1871 census]
This appears to have been short lived, no other info found.
Painters Arms, Upper Gornal.
1861, James Guest. [Census]
1887, A. Lovatt.
1896, Arthur Moss, licensee. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
N.B. In 1904 Arthur Moss is listed as Safe Maker in Upper Gornal, a safe made by Arthur H Moss, Gornal is exhibited at the Black Country Museum, he is not listed in the 1912 trade directory but family members are at No.90, Kent Street.
Arthur H Moss, Snr. & Jnr. and family lived at 5 Church Street, Lower Gornal in the 1901 census.
1861, Joseph Law. [Harrod's Directory]
1865, Joseph Law. [Jones Mercantile Directory]
1880, Joseph Law, Graveyard, Lower Gornal. [Post Office Directory of Birmingham, Staffordshire & Worcestershire]
Prince Albert, Upper Gornal.
1851, Sarah Turner. [Jones Merchantile Directory]
1858, Samuel Nichols.
1861, William Taylor. [Harrod's Directory]
1865, William Taylor. [Jones Merchantile Directory]
Queens Head Inn, Upper Gornal.
George Smith issued tokens from here c1870.
1851 Jeremiah Parker, described as a victualler and butcher. [Melville Directory]
1861, Jeremiah Parker. [Harrod's Directory]
1865, Rebecca Parker. [Jones Mercantile Directory]
1868, George Smith, (& butcher). [P.O. Directory]
1872, James Passmore. [P.O. Directory]
1878, Mary Ann Naylor, Publican. [Bankruptcy notice]
1880, Samuel Heeley, & shopkeeper. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1881, Uninhabitted. [1881 census]
Royal Oak, 15 Kent Street, Upper Gornal.
Located next door to another pub 'The Lion' in Kent Street at No. 16, both were been demolished in the 1960s.
1881, Edward Beddinham, occupation: Wheelwright employing 2 Men & 2 Boys. [1881 census].
1916-1936, John Bodenham, beer retailer. [Kellys Directory]
1939, Benjamin Naylor, licensee (bricklayer) b 24 June 1902. [Register]
1940, Benjamin Naylor, proprietor. [Kellys Directory]
Streights Green Inn (Tavern) (19th century).
1839, John Addenbrooke. [Robson's Birmingham Directory]
Also mentioned in a sale notice of 1839.1850, John Every. [P.O. Directory]
1851, John Moss. [P.O. Directory]
1857, 'Streight Inn' had to relinquish the license to allow a new licence to be granted to The Fiddlers Arms, both owned by Lord Ward.
1861, John Every. [Harrod's Directory]
Swan Inn, 1 Mount Street, Upper Gornal (19th Century).
1871, Charles Hartland. [Census]
Travellers Rest, Abbey Street, Gornal Wood (19th Century).
1864, Daniel Jones.
1869, David Jones.
1874, Edward Bennett.
The Three Furnaces Inn, Hermit Row, Upper Gornal.
1861, Joseph Hartland, aged 48. [1861 census]
this aye fur noggin yeds