~ Gallery - Sports ~
~ Other Sports ~
Upper Gornal Cricket Club.
1884: Dudley and District News,August.
The earliest mention of the club was a one day match against Brierley Hill on 6th July, 1858, the Gornal team included:
T. Hind; G. Robinson; J. Hughes; J. Talbot; W. Ebury; H. Lewis; C. Hartland; J. Saunders; J. Waterfield; D.Jones: T.Lewis.
The match ended in a draw.
During the 1880s, the cricket ground was used for the annual show, the first is believed to be held in 1883, described as a Fete and Picnic, and afterwards became an annual event.
Such an event would include apart from showing prize flowers, fruit and vegetables, a brass band, sports and fireworks. Admission was one shilling.

Annual Shows of flowers, fruit and vegetables were also held at Lower Gornal in the Vicarage grounds, in 1876 the show included fireworks and the church tower of St. James was illuminated. Children from the Burton Road workhouse were treated with an invitation to attend, these shows were hugely attended.
George Kirby, Pedestrian.
Lower Gornal Cricket Club.
The Red Cow public house in Graveyard Road hosted the Lower Gornal C.C. 'till sometime in the 1930s with their own cricket ground adjacent.

Bull-baiting as a sport appeared quite popular in the Black Country, the 'Bull Ring' Sedgley was so named.
This rather brutal sport which entails setting dogs upon a tethered bull, originally started out in medieval times as a necessity to ensure 'tender' meat from the bull before it was slaughtered.
This gradually developed into a blood sport, and the bulldog and other 'bully' dogs were bred for this very use.
The sport along with many other baiting sports was outlawed when the Cruelty to Animals Act of 1835 was passed by Parliament, but obviously the locals were oblivious of this or more likely just ignored it as the reported offence indicates.

'Bullbaiting', Henry Alken, 1820.