NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Pubs ~
Bell ~ Bricklayers Arms, Kent St. ~ Bricklayers Arms, Straits ~ Bull & Butcher ~ Cottage Spring ~ Cross Keys ~ Duke William
Hop and Barleycorn ~ Horse and Jockey ~ Horseshoe ~ Leopard ~ Limerick ~ Limerick (Kent St.) ~ Lion Hotel
New Inn ~ Pear Tree ~ The Queens Head ~ Spriggers Arms ~ Swan ~ White Chimneys ~ White Lion
Crown ~ Durham Ox ~ Five Ways ~ Good Intent ~ Green Dragon ~ Junction ~ Shakespeare ~ Straits House ~ Waggon & Horses
Black Bear ~ Britannia ~ Bulls Head ~ Bush ~ Fiddlers Arms ~ Five Ways (Himley Rd) ~ Forge ~ Fountain ~ Glynne Arms
Jolly Crispin ~ Meadow Lark ~ Miners Arms ~ Old Bulls Head ~ Old Mill ~ Red Cow ~ Red Lion ~ Spills Meadow ~ Woodman
The Red Lion
The Red Lion Inn.
Photo CDM 2014
The Red Lion, 11 Bank Road, [1 Abbey Road], Gornal Wood.
This mid-Victorian pub looks across the bus station in Abbey Road, the gable end of the building has a distinct cut-away look.
Thomas Malpass was nicknamed the 'Pokey Mon' or 'Pokey', locals often referred to the Red Lion as Pokey's.
He became much a local character because of his love for practical jokes.
Thomas 'Tummy' Booth, already an established Back Country brewer, purchased the Red Lion from William Elwell in 1935, the property costing Booth £3,650, he then set about re-establishing and extending the Lion's brewery to help suppy his other licensed establishments.
After 1937 he had also aquired The Crown Inn, Holloway Street, Ruiton and The Cross Keys and Miner Arms both in Ruiton Street, Lower Gornal, among other pubs around the Black Country.
In 1939, Thomas Booth moved to Pensnett and set up his brewery in Corbyn's Hall Road.
Booth sold the Red Lion to Julia Hanson Breweries in 1942.
Both Thomas Malpass and Thomas Booth issued brass tokens from the Red Lion.
Next door to the Red Lion, a toilet block was built.
Responsibility and maintenance for this was transferred from the brewery to Sedgley UDC in 1956.
The Public Convenience finally closed sometime around 2010 and remains closed.
1942: Evening Despatch, Monday 16 March.
1880, Edward Guest. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1882, Edward Thomas Guest.
1890, Elizabeth Guest.
1890, Licence transfered to Thomas Malpass.
1891, Thomas Malpass. [Census]
1896-1904, Thomas Malpass. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1901, Thomas Malpass. [Census]
1911, Thomas Malpass, publican aged 50. [Census]
1921-1927, Thomas Malpass, beer retailer. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1927, Inn was sold.
1928-1931, William Jones.
1937-1939, Thomas Booth, beer retailer. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1939, George Booth, brewer. [Register]
George Booth was Thomas Booth's son.1942, Inn was sold.
1927 Sale notice, Dudley Chronicle, 15th September.
1842 Sale notice.
Origin of the pub name 'Red Lion'.
This is currently the most popular pub name in Britain, with over 500 pubs so named.
this aye fur noggin yeds