NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports ~ Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Pubs ~
~ Bell ~ Bricklayers Arms, Kent St. ~ Bricklayers Arms, Straits ~ Bull & Butcher ~ Cottage Spring ~ Cross Keys ~ Duke William ~
~ Hop and Barleycorn ~ Horse and Jockey ~ Horseshoe ~ Leopard ~ Limerick ~ Limerick (Kent St.) ~ Lion Hotel ~
~ New Inn ~ Pear Tree ~ The Queens Head ~ Spriggers Arms ~ Swan ~ White Chimneys ~ White Lion ~
~ Crown ~ Durham Ox ~ Five Ways ~ Good Intent ~ Green Dragon ~ Junction ~ Shakespeare ~ Straits House ~ Waggon & Horses ~
~ Black Bear ~ Britannia ~ Bulls Head ~ Bush ~ Fiddlers Arms ~ Five Ways (Himley Rd) ~ Forge ~ Fountain ~ Glynne Arms ~
~ Jolly Crispin ~ Meadow Lark ~ Miners Arms ~ Old Bulls Head ~ Old Mill ~ Red Cow ~ Red Lion ~ Spills Meadow ~ Woodman ~
The Bush Inn
The Bush, 2014
The Bush Inn, 52 (2) Summit Place, still serving.
This early building started out as a Georgian Terrance with the frontage on the opposite side of the building to the present pub entrance.
First licensed in 1820.
Sometimes referred to as The Old Bush.
The pub is reputedly haunted by poltergeist and apparitions.
The Limerick, now demolished, occupied an adjacent plot.
Mr.Stephen Hale of the Old Bush Inn, Gornal Wood, died 21st January 1842 aged 52.
February 16, 1853, Mr. Thos. Hale of the Bush Inn married Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Mr. Jos. Hale, Butcher.
Sale notice: June 8, 1869 at the house of Mrs Guest, The Bush Inn.
1834, Stephen Hale. [White's Directory]
1842, Stephen Hale. [Pigots Directory]
1850, Mrs Nancy Hale. [P.O. Directory]
1851, Thomas Hall [Hale]. [Slaters Directory][Census]
1861, John Fellows. [Harrod's Directory]
1865, John Fellows. [Jones Mercantile Directory]
1869, Ann Guest (Old Bush)
1865, Edward Nicklin, 1865.
Edward Nicklin of the Bush Inn was declared backrupt in 1868.1868, Edward Nicklin, licensed victualler and shoemaker.
1871, Thomas Smith. [Census]
1880, Reuben Morris. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1881, Rueben Morris. [Census]
1885, Rueben Morris. [ER]
1891, Mary Morris, Inn Keeper, aged 52, widow. [Census]
Mary was the wife of Reuben Morris who died in 1885.1901, Mary Morris. [Census]
1904, Mrs Mary Morris. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1911, David White, Bricklayer and Publican aged 29 from Leicestershire. [Census]
1912, David White. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1915, 1916 David White. [ER], [Kelly's]
1921, John Bryan. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1924-1928, William Cox. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
John Flemming. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1940, Edwin Beesley. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
Origin of the pub name 'The Bush'.
During the Roman occupation, it was decreed that all taverns be identifiable by branches of an evergreen like ivy to be fixed to the outside of the building usually on a pole, later hop vines were used.
The branches, which are shown on the Bush Inn sign symbolise the Greek god of wine, Bacchus.
this aye fur noggin yeds