~ Gallery - Pubs ~
Straits House
Straits House, Tennyson Road.
Originally a Regency gentleman's residence - a large house with extensive grounds, built around 1820 by Alexander Gordon.
Mr. Gordon died on 4th January, 1848, in his obitury it states that "..he was a truly kind and benevolent old gentlemen, but was particularly partial to his own views. He died at the advanced age of 77 years."
Henry Scott and family, Metal Broker, lived here in 1871.
The house was occupied in 1896 by Edward Wones up until the 1920s, and later by the Bent family.
During the 1950's this fine building was converted into a Public House.
Although strongly objected to and despite petitions by local residents, Wolverhampton & Dudley Breweries PLCs application to transform the building into 24 residential flats in 2006 was eventually successful.
Straits House called its last 'time' on Sunday 14th January 2007.
The main facade has been retained, extensions to the side and rear form part of the development.
The main house has been divided up into apartments.
~