NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Pubs ~
Bell ~ Bricklayers Arms, Kent St. ~ Bricklayers Arms, Straits ~ Bull & Butcher ~ Cottage Spring ~ Cross Keys ~ Duke William
Hop and Barleycorn ~ Horse and Jockey ~ Horseshoe ~ Leopard ~ Limerick ~ Limerick (Kent St.) ~ Lion Hotel
New Inn ~ Pear Tree ~ The Queens Head ~ Spriggers Arms ~ Swan ~ White Chimneys ~ White Lion
Crown ~ Durham Ox ~ Five Ways ~ Good Intent ~ Green Dragon ~ Junction ~ Shakespeare ~ Straits House ~ Waggon & Horses
Black Bear ~ Britannia ~ Bulls Head ~ Bush ~ Fiddlers Arms ~ Five Ways (Himley Rd) ~ Forge ~ Fountain ~ Glynne Arms
Jolly Crispin ~ Meadow Lark ~ Miners Arms ~ Old Bulls Head ~ Old Mill ~ Red Cow ~ Red Lion ~ Spills Meadow ~ Woodman
The Bulls Head
The Bulls Head, Himley Road
The Bulls Head, 404 (71) Himley Road, Gornal Wood.
The pub overlooks the busy junction on the Himley to Dudley Road, where Bull Street, Cinder Road and Redhall Road interject.
The Victorian pub always had a rather over embellished look, even more so now with the recent additions including a rooftop cow.
Locally referred to as the 'Bottom Bull' so as to distinguish it from nearby 'The Old Bulls Head' in Redhall Road which is aptly named "Top Bull".
The Bull became another eccentricity of the Mad O'Rourke's Pie Factory chain and opened in April 2009, and gave chance to Gornal folk to tackle the fabled 'Desperate Dan Cow Pie' weighing in at a whopping 4lb.
Despite their striking blue and cream 'pie-factory' livery and much publicity, the success was very short lived and the (Gornal) Pie Factory closed on July 1st 2010 - just over a year later.
This was not the end and shortly afterwards it was re-opened by Marston's Brewery with the re-instated Bulls Head name.
Closed during 2017-2018, under a 'sale' notice.
October 2018, undergoing refurbishment.
2019 re-opened as restaurant (curry house).
December 2021, closed - the business appears to up for sale.
1850, James Hughes. [P.O. Directory]
1851, James Hughes. [Census]
1861, Hannah Hughes, age 55. [Census]
1862, Mrs Hannah Hughes. [sale notice]
1864, John Jones.
1868, William Edwin Perry. [P.O. Directory]
1871, George Guest age 29, licensed victualler & butcher . [Census]
1872, Levi Harper.
1881, Samuel Chrimes. [Census]
1891, John Turner, licensed victualler and butcher. [Census]
1901, Joseph Ward. [Census]
1904, Ernest Wastell [Wasdell]. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1911, Richard James, aged 37, saddler and publican from Tamworth. [Census]
1912, Richard James. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1916, Joseph Ward. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1921, Noah Terry. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1924, Seth R. Jones. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1928, Joseph Ward. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1936-1940, Robert Dudley Ward. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1939, Gertrude E. Ward, manageress licensed house. [1939 Register]
Origin of the pub name 'Bulls Head'
Most pub names containing 'Bull' were so called as proprietors were often connected with butchery usually from the same premises.
this aye fur noggin yeds