~ Gallery - Pubs ~
The Swan
The Swan Inn, 20, Lake Street, Lower Gornal.
The pub stood near the junction with Humphrey Street, an adjacent building provided a dance hall and function room, the old stone wall that surrounded the pub is still apparent skirting the bend into Humphrey Street.
Another pub called the 'Swan Inn', is listed in the 1871 Census at Nr.1 Mount Street, Upper Gornal, with Charles Hartland, 33, occupation Carpenter & licensed victualler.

Sale notice: Birmingham Post, 30th September 1944
Part of the estate of F.W.Jones, deceased who owned several other Public Houses.

THE "SWAN" INN, Lake Street, Lower Gornal (Beerhouse On) occupying a corner position, with Draw-in
Also advertised:>
Three brick-built and slate roof DWELLING HOUSES, Nos 76, 77, 78 Lake Street adjoining the above lot and producing 50 14s gross per annum.
The Swan closed sometime after 1944 and was demolished in the 1950s.
Licensees:
1891, Arthur Lester, age 32, Inn Keeper, No.20. [Census]
1921-1928, David Hyde, beer retailer and grocer.
1930, Jack Abiss.
1940, John F. Jones. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1950, David Hyde.

Origin of the pub name 'Swan'

Heraldic origins, a white swan was symbolic in Tudor times, and a traditional sign for taverns.

~