NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Pubs ~
Bell ~ Bricklayers Arms, Kent St. ~ Bricklayers Arms, Straits ~ Bull & Butcher ~ Cottage Spring ~ Cross Keys ~ Duke William
Hop and Barleycorn ~ Horse and Jockey ~ Horseshoe ~ Leopard ~ Limerick ~ Limerick (Kent St.) ~ Lion Hotel
New Inn ~ Pear Tree ~ The Queens Head ~ Spriggers Arms ~ Swan ~ White Chimneys ~ White Lion
Crown ~ Durham Ox ~ Five Ways ~ Good Intent ~ Green Dragon ~ Junction ~ Shakespeare ~ Straits House ~ Waggon & Horses
Black Bear ~ Britannia ~ Bulls Head ~ Bush ~ Fiddlers Arms ~ Five Ways (Himley Rd) ~ Forge ~ Fountain ~ Glynne Arms
Jolly Crispin ~ Meadow Lark ~ Miners Arms ~ Old Bulls Head ~ Old Mill ~ Red Cow ~ Red Lion ~ Spills Meadow ~ Woodman
The Miners Arms (The Chapel House)
The Chapel House
Photo CDM, 2014
The Chapel House - Miners Arms, 28 (89) Ruiton Street, Lower Gornal.
The Chapel House as it was called originally around 1835 due to its use by local Methodists as a meeting place before the nearby chapels were built.
1876: Dudley Herald, 17 June.
Although the name was changed to the Miners Arms c1877, it continued to be known locally as the Chapel House.
By 2013, the pub name reverted back to the 'Chapel House'.
The cellars were reputedly once used as a jail.
Acquired by Holden's Brewery in 1949.
Said to be haunted.
Rendering was removed from the exterior of the building in December 2016 revealing on the front and north side the original stone construction.
The Miners Arms was a popular pub name in the district, with another so named pub located in Kent Street, and also a 'Miners Arms' was mentioned in Lake Street, Lower Gornal in 1871.
The Chapel House, 2017.
1891: Birmingham daily Post, 24 January.
1835, Isaac Fisher. [Pigots Directory]
1842, Isaac Fisher. [Pigots Directory]
1861, Isaac Fisher, aged 77. [Census]
1865, Isaac Fisher. [Jones Mercantile Directory]
1869, Phoebe Hale?
1870, John Wooton.
1876, Benjamin Smith.
1880, Simon Dando, china dealer. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1891, Charles Evans, 89 Ruiton St. [Census]
1893, Charles Evans. [ER]
1896, Charles Evans. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1901, Charles Evans. [Census]
1904, Charles Evans. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1912, Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Bellamy. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1913-1928, Enoch Smart. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1936, William E. Bartlett. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1940, J. Walker. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1950s: Reuben Walker.
1879: Dudley Herald, 3rd May.
1876: Dudley Herald, February 12th..
this aye fur noggin yeds