NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Pubs ~
Bell ~ Bricklayers Arms, Kent St. ~ Bricklayers Arms, Straits ~ Bull & Butcher ~ Cottage Spring ~ Cross Keys ~ Duke William
Hop and Barleycorn ~ Horse and Jockey ~ Horseshoe ~ Leopard ~ Limerick ~ Limerick (Kent St.) ~ Lion Hotel
New Inn ~ Pear Tree ~ The Queens Head ~ Spriggers Arms ~ Swan ~ White Chimneys ~ White Lion
Crown ~ Durham Ox ~ Five Ways ~ Good Intent ~ Green Dragon ~ Junction ~ Shakespeare ~ Straits House ~ Waggon & Horses
Black Bear ~ Britannia ~ Bulls Head ~ Bush ~ Fiddlers Arms ~ Five Ways (Himley Rd) ~ Forge ~ Fountain ~ Glynne Arms
Jolly Crispin ~ Meadow Lark ~ Miners Arms ~ Old Bulls Head ~ Old Mill ~ Red Cow ~ Red Lion ~ Spills Meadow ~ Woodman
The Five Ways Inn
The Five Ways Inn
Brass tokens were issued by William Henry Waterfield c1876.
The Five ways Inn, 1 Robert Street, (2 Lake Street) Lower Gornal.
A Grade II listed building since 1976, built of local stone in the early 19th century and much altered later.
An oval stone tablet built into the first storey bears the inscription 'J.B.M. 1821', which is most likely the date it was built.
The Inn and adjoining cottages were purchased from Mr Jeavons in 1876 by John Waterfield for £1,460.
The building ceased to be pub in 1996 and was transformed into J.R. Jones Funeral Directors.
1845: Wolverhampton Chronical, May 21.
William Webber died 1846.
Blackberry Hill; still called 'Blackberry' and behind Roberts School.
The Five Ways Inn is so named as it overlooks the busy five ways junction - Ruiton Street/Robert Street/Lake Street/Church Street/Summer Lane.
Originally, Jews Lane continued down to the five ways, the lower part was renamed Roberts Street in the late 19th Century.
Roberts Green Farm occupied much of this area, the land was farmed by John Roberts who was probably a tenant of The Earl Of Dudley.
1865: Aris's Birmingham Gazette, June 10.
Sketch of The Five Ways Inn c1950 by J.R.Stenson. ©
Reproduced with Mr. Stensons permission.
The above sketch also shows the two shops that are now occupied by the Lower Gornal Post Office and Newsagent.
1876: County Express, October 21.
1851, Benjamin Jevon. [Melville & Co.'s Directory of Wolverhampton]
1861, Benjamin Jevons. [Harrod's Directory]
1865, John Jevons. [Jones Mercantile Directory]
1871, John Jevons. [Census]
1873, John Jevon.
1876, William Henry Waterfield.
1881, Joseph Waterfield, (2 Lake Street). [Census]
1891, Joseph Horton Waterfield. (2 Lake Street, 'quarryman'). [Census]
1901, Joseph H. Waterfield. (b1841). [Census]
1904, Joseph Waterfield. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1911, John Waterfield, licensed victualler, aged 40. [Census]
1912, John Waterfield. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1916, Joshuah Bradley. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1928, Lewis G. Elston. [Kelly's Trade Directory] (1939 of Bush Inn)
1928-1940s, Frederick Willets. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
In 1876, the Five Ways Inn and adjacent cottage were sold to Mr. John Waterfield for £1,460 (see sale advert opposite).
this aye fur noggin yeds