~ Gallery - Pubs ~
The Waggon and Horses
The Waggon and Horses, 1 Furlong Walk, Ruiton Street, Lower Gornal.
Address was Furlong Walk in 1881 census, a small track alongside the pub.
The pub was established in the 1830s and finally closed in 2008 and was put up for sale in 2009.
The building is presently used as offices.
Plan
Pub sign 2011
Licensees:
1834, Joseph Cartwright. [Whites Directory]
1842, Joseph Cartwright. [Pigots Directory]
1851, Sarah Hyde.
1850, Joseph Cartwright. [Post Office Directory of Birmingham]
1851, Isaiah Hyde, Victualler. [Melville Directory of W'hampton.]
1860, Caroline Hyde.
1860, Abraham Carter.
1861, Isaiah Carter. [Harrod's Directory]
1865, George Jones. [Jones Mercantile Directory]
1871, Alexander Patterson. [ER]
1881, Alexander Patterson, licensed victualler & draper. [Census]
Patterson was from Scotland.
1883, Alexander Patterson. [ER]
1901, Alexander Patterson. [Census]
1904, Alex Patterson. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1911, Henry Turner, licensed victualler aged 53 [Census]
1912 & 1916, Henry Turner. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1921, William Witton. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1924, Horace Castle. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1928, John T. Caddick. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1936, William L. Bradley. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1940, John Arnold. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1950s, John Arnold Lodge.
~