~ Gallery - Pubs ~
The Black Bear - The Horse and Jockey
The Black Bear, 86 (37) Deepdale Lane, Lower Gornal
The pub dates to the mid-nineteenth century, the name was changed from The Horse & Jockey to The Black Bear in the 1980s.
There was also the Horse and Jockey> pub in Upper Gornal
Still licensed and still serving
ALLEDGED WOUNDING WITH A KNIFE
Thomas Price (31), miner, was indicted for unlawfully wounding William Henry Beardsmore with a knife at Lower Gornal, on May 4th, -Mr.Cotes Preedy prosecuting, and Mr. H.J. Lawrence defended. -It appeared that the men were in the Horse and Jockey Inn, Lower Gornal, and that there was a dispute between prosecutor and a man named Bennett with regard to some pigeons. Prisoner interfered in the dispute, and it was alleged that he challenged the prosecutor out to fight. The Landlord put a stop to the dispute in the public house by ordering the men out of the inn, and the men went into a field, where they exchanged blows. Prisoner and prosecutor fell on the ground, and in the scuffle that took place, it was asserted that the prisoner pulled out a knife and wounded the prosecutor on the head with it. The defence was that the knife was used in self-defence, prisoner alleging that the prosecutor threatened to kill him, and that the wounds received by the prosecutor were due to an accident.-The jury acquitted the prisoner.
1908: The Mercury, Friday July 3rd.
Licensees:

Looking from Deepdale Lane [Photo 2019]

1835, John Marsh. [Pigots Directory]
1842, Zachariah Guest. [Pigots Directory]
1850, Zachariah Guest. [P.O. Directory]
1861, Zachariah Guest. [Harrod's Directory]
1865, Zachariah Guest. [Jones Mercantile Directory]
1881, David Collins. [Census]
1891, Richard Bate. [Census]
1896, Richard Bate. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1904, Alfred Ernest Woodward. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1907, Edwin Holden.
Edwins son Edwin Alfred Holden (Teddy) was born there and later went on to form Holdens Brewery in Woodsetton, Coseley, Teddy later purchased the Old Mill in 1945 and the Miners Aems(Chapel House) in 1949 for Holdens Brewery
1912, John Chiltern. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1916-1921, Isaac Bradley. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1924-1936, Leah E. Bradley (Mrs). [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1940, Mrs L. E. Bradley [Leah Bradley]. [Kelly's Trade Directory]

Origin of the pub name 'Black Bear'

Although this is a recent name change, the 'Black Bear' is usually of heraldic origin, however it is more likely chosen to celebrate the 19th century portrayal of a dancing bear in Sedgley Bull Ring.

~