~ Gallery - Pubs ~
The White Lion
The Fold, Upper Gornal
The pub was located in 'The Fold', at the Vale Street cross roads at the top of Moden Hill, shown on an OS map of 1885.
Demolished sometime in the 1930s.
1834, Sarah Darbey. [Whites Directory]
1835, Sarah Darbey. [Pigots Directory]
1842, Stephen Law. [Pigots Directory]
1865, William Law. [Jones Merchantile Directory
1868, Willima Law (& farmer). [P.O. Directory]

1881, William Law, aged 56, Publican. [Census]
1896, Joseph Holton. [Kelly's Trade Directory].
1912, John Timmins, Licensee, Upper Gornal. [Kelly's Trade Directory]

Origin of the pub name 'The White Lion'.

Heraldic origin.
The arms of King Edward IV (1461–1483) contained the white lion.