NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports ~ Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Pubs ~
~ Bell ~ Bricklayers Arms, Kent St. ~ Bricklayers Arms, Straits ~ Bull & Butcher ~ Cottage Spring ~ Cross Keys ~ Duke William ~
~ Hop and Barleycorn ~ Horse and Jockey ~ Horseshoe ~ Leopard ~ Limerick ~ Limerick (Kent St.) ~ Lion Hotel ~
~ New Inn ~ Pear Tree ~ The Queens Head ~ Spriggers Arms ~ Swan ~ White Chimneys ~ White Lion ~
~ Crown ~ Durham Ox ~ Five Ways ~ Good Intent ~ Green Dragon ~ Junction ~ Shakespeare ~ Straits House ~ Waggon & Horses ~
~ Black Bear ~ Britannia ~ Bulls Head ~ Bush ~ Fiddlers Arms ~ Five Ways (Himley Rd) ~ Forge ~ Fountain ~ Glynne Arms ~
~ Jolly Crispin ~ Meadow Lark ~ Miners Arms ~ Old Bulls Head ~ Old Mill ~ Red Cow ~ Red Lion ~ Spills Meadow ~ Woodman ~
The Miners Arms - Bricklayers Arms - Pig On The Wall
The Bricklayers Arms c1914
photo courtesy of Michael Hammond
The Bricklayers Arms, 68 Kent Street, Upper Gornal.
N.B. There was also another Bricklayers Arms in The Straits/Cotwall End.
Benjamin Fellows, a miner, bought one of four dwelling houses in 1847 for the sum of £300 and applied for a beerhouse licence.
He called it "The Miners Arms", he died in 1849 and the pub was sold to John Peacock, a builder.
The pub was originally called The Miners Arms up until late 19th century.
Reuben Bennett, a bricklayer by trade, bought the premises around 1900 and changed the name to the Bricklayers Arms.
Reuben Bennett issued tokens c1910.
The pub was acquired by Harry Hammond around 1912 and after which it became known locally as "Hammond's".
The above photo, taken about 1914, shows Harry Hammond in the doorway with his children Sidney Martin Hammond (left) and younger brother William Norton Hammond who later in life also managed the pub.
The Bricklayers Arms stayed in the Hammond family until 1974.
After 1974, the pub had a succession of landlords but the business declined and the Bricklayers closed around 1985 after a fire had gutted the interior.
The pub was purchased from Ansells Brewery by John Green in 1985, he went on to fully refurbish it and it re-opened in 1987 as the "Pig On The Wall" to celebrate the local legend.
The pub was demolished in 2002 to make way for a MacDonald's takeaway which was built on the land.
1847, Benjamin Fellows.
1864, 1871, 1876, John Peacock. Builder and Innkeeper,
John Peacock, licensed victualler, was bankrupted in 1861 (perhaps pre- Miners Arms) .1880, Edward Allen. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
John Peacock died on 16th November, 1886.
1881, Edward Allen, age 52. [Census]
1891, Hannah Allen. [Census]
Edward Allen's widow, Hannah continued the licence after his death in 1890.1901-1912, Reuben Bennett.
1912-1944, Harry Hammond.
Harry died on the 18th August 1940 and the licence was transferred to his widow, Annie.1940-1953, Annie Hammond.
1953-1974, William Norton Hammond.
William Hammond was Harry Hammond's son.Afterwards the proprietor was Ansells Brewery and during the 1970s and 1980s a great number of short-term Licencees were in charge.
1987-2002, John Green.
Thanks to Michael Hammond for the information provided on the 'Bricklayers Arms' era.
this aye fur noggin yeds