NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports ~ Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Pubs ~
~ Bell ~ Bricklayers Arms, Kent St. ~ Bricklayers Arms, Straits ~ Bull & Butcher ~ Cottage Spring ~ Cross Keys ~ Duke William ~
~ Hop and Barleycorn ~ Horse and Jockey ~ Horseshoe ~ Leopard ~ Limerick ~ Limerick (Kent St.) ~ Lion Hotel ~
~ New Inn ~ Pear Tree ~ The Queens Head ~ Spriggers Arms ~ Swan ~ White Chimneys ~ White Lion ~
~ Crown ~ Durham Ox ~ Five Ways ~ Good Intent ~ Green Dragon ~ Junction ~ Shakespeare ~ Straits House ~ Waggon & Horses ~
~ Black Bear ~ Britannia ~ Bulls Head ~ Bush ~ Fiddlers Arms ~ Five Ways (Himley Rd) ~ Forge ~ Fountain ~ Glynne Arms ~
~ Jolly Crispin ~ Meadow Lark ~ Miners Arms ~ Old Bulls Head ~ Old Mill ~ Red Cow ~ Red Lion ~ Spills Meadow ~ Woodman ~
PhotoL CDM 2016 just before its demise
The Leopard, 127  Dudley Road adjoining Clarence Street, just over the Upper Gornal bounds, this old pub dated back to the 1830s.
Theophilus Tinsley, a Sedgley Gentleman nail merchant bought the copyhold plot in 1809, he subsequently built a large warehouse and three houses at 13, 14, 15 Dudley Road and the Leopard at No.16.
On this plot, along Valley Road, he also built a row of houses with nail shops at the rear.
In 1839, his son Thomas married Eliza Butler, daughter of a brewer, Thomas also built up a nail factoring business with his brother Theophilus jnr. the partnership was dissolved in 1845, they were described as 'nail ironmongers'.
Around 1851, the Tinsleys moved to a new house 'The Limes', a short distance along the Dudley Road and the Leopard ownership changed.
Thomas died in June 1851, shortly after their move, but his wife Eliza continued expanding the business to become a wealthy Iron Mistress in the iron trade, she died in 1882.
The Eliza Tinsley Company is still manufacturing hardware today.
The Leopard Public House was marked on the first edition OS map of 1881 as ‘Leopard Inn & Sedgley Brewery’, the Brewery is thought to have been the enterprise of John Kimberley.
The old nail warehouse appears to have been demolished around the 1930s,
Sometime before 1960, The Leopard was re-numbered to 127 Dudley Road and the houses 13-15, to 125, 123, 121.
The old houses of 121, 123, 125 Dudley Road were demolished in the early 1960s, the Leopard car park being built over the remainder of the site sometime after 1963.
The Leopard and entire site was sold to developers, and the pub closed in 2015.
The local authority refused the new development plans which involved demolishing the Leopard as it was regarded as being of local historic and architectural interest.
However despite these objections, the devlopment went ahead and the pub was demolished in the autumn of 2016.
New housing was quickly erected on the site.
South Wales Echo, 16th March 1885.
1833, Theophilus Tinsley, described as 'nail factor, grocer and victualler'.
1834, Theophilus Tinsley. [Whites Directory]
1842, William Lowe. [Pigots Directory]
1851, William Lowe, age 50, licensed victualler. [Census]
Wife Sarah, William was described in later census as a locksmith.1865, Benjamin Smith, Horse Dealer. [Jones Mercantile Directory]
1871, Zachariah Parkes, publican aged 70. [Census]
He died later that year.1872, John Kimberley. [P.O. Directory]
1881, John Kimberley. [Census]
1901, Daniel Rowley, age 49, his wife was Fanny [Census]
1939, Lawrence Abbiss, age 40. [Register]
this aye fur noggin yeds