~ Gallery - Pubs ~
The Royal Oak
15 Kent Street, Upper Gornal.
This was an early pub estabished on the turnpike road between Dudley and Sedgley as were many others along this stretch of highway.
It was located next door to 'The Lion Inn' at No. 16 Kent Street.
Both pubs were demolished in the 1960s.
1839: Newspaper Sale Notice.
TWO DWELLING HOUSES, with outbuildings and gardens, situate at Upper Gornal, and now in the occupations of John Darby and Vincent Jewkes; the house occupied by John Darby being now used as a public house, and called the "Royal Oak." The land, with the site the buildings, contains 634 square yards.
Licensees:
1830s, John Darby.
1839, sold.
1840s, Thomas Page.
1846, sold.
1881, Edward Beddinham, occupation: Wheelwright employing 2 Men & 2 Boys. [Census].
1916-1936, John Bodenham, beer retailer. [Kellys Directory]
1939, Benjamin Naylor, licensee (bricklayer)
b 24 June 1902. [Register]
1940, Benjamin Naylor, proprietor. [Kellys Directory]
1846: Newspaper Sale Notice.
Valuable PUBLIC - HOUSE and PREMISES, at
UPPER GORNAL, in the Parish of SEDGLEY.
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION,
(without reserve,)
BY MR. THOMAS P. STOKES,
On Tuesday, the 7th day of April, 1846, at the house of Mr. John Cartwright, known by the sign of the Green Dragon, at Upper Gornal, at five o'clock in the afternoon, and subject to conditions then to be produced;
AVALUABLE old-established and well-accustomed PUBLIC-HOUSE, with a large Garden, excellent Cellaring, and capital pump of water, and Appurtenances thereto belonging, situate at Upper Gornal, in the parish of Sedgley, and known by the sign of the
ROYAL OAK,
fronting the turnpike-road leading from Dudley to Wolverhampton, in the occupation of Mr. Thomas Page, at the rent of 16 per annum.
This Property is Free Copyhold of the Manor of Sedgley.
A Plan the Property may be seen and all further particulars obtained on application to the Auctioneer, or at tha Offices of Messrs. Bourne and Wainwright, Solicitors, Dudley.
~