|
|
|
|
Landmarks ~
Churches ~
Pubs ~
Shops ~
Amenities ~
Dwellings ~
Events ~
Schools ~
Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Folklore ~ Families
~ Gallery - Dwellings ~
Ellowes Hall ~
Farms ~
Ruiton House ~
Sam's old house ~
Petworth House ~
Pop House ~
Prefabs
Round House ~ Straits House ~ Prospect House ~ The Quarries ~ 8 Bull St. ~ Old Vicarage ~ Other
Farms
Abbey Farm, Gornal Wood ~
Abbey Farm, Ruiton ~
Conqueror's Farm ~
Cooper's Bank Farm ~
Cotwall End Farm
Graveyard Farm ~ Huntsmill Farm ~ Robert's Green Farm ~ Ruiton Farm ~ Straits Farm ~ Spout House Farm ~ Other Farms
Abbey Farm, Stickley Field.
Abbey Farm
Photo by E.A. Underhill, c1912.
Abbey Farm was located near Ellowes Hall, and accessed by long farm tracks from
Cotwall End Road and another from Moden Hill.
Mentioned in 1851 as an 'Old Abbey'; it was occupied by William Elwell, a stone mason and his family.
In the 1901 census, the farm was occupied by Charles Harvey, (occupation: 'Carter on Farm'); his wife was described as a 'Poultry Woman'. The farm may have pre‑dated the Ellowes and might have connections with Dudley Priory, which could explain the name. However, nothing conclusive was found.
Abbey Farm is not to be confused with the Abbey Farm in Gornal Wood.
The old farm buildings were in a derelict state by the 1950s
and cleared away before the Ellowes School was built, any remains are under the Ellowes School playing fields.
The above photo appeared in the book 'Patchwork, Around the Beacon (Sedgley) and other Poems' by
Sedgley photographer and author Edwin A. Underhill. This is one of twelve mounted photographs
in the book of locally inspired poetry published in 1932.
The mounted photographs, according to the author, were taken from negatives of twenty years previous, although some copies of the photographs have been produced as post cards. Underhill also published 'The Story of the Ancient Manor of Sedgley' in 1942. ~
|
|
|