NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Dwellings ~
Ellowes Hall ~ Farms ~ Ruiton House ~ Sam's old house ~ Petworth House ~ Pop House ~ Prefabs
Straits House ~ Prospect House ~ 8 Bull St. ~ Old Vicarage ~ Other
The Prefabs, Stickley Estate
Fifty prefabricated aluminium bungalows were erected on the new Stickley Estate in 1946, they were situated around the Kenedy Crescent area.
The 'Prefabs' as they become known, were erected to meet the wartime housing shortage.
These new bungalows had over a thousand applicants, so only went a small way to meet the local needs.
They were erected as only temporary accommodation, and indeed only had a short life span.
The bungalows were demolished in the late sixties and were quickly replaced with an assortment of new housing and blocks of flats around Kennedy Crescent.
The Stickley Estate comprised almost entirely of social housing, work started on the Estate in the 1930s with houses completed along Wood Road in 1934.
Most of the housing around Stickley was built between 1950 and 1954, however some building work continued up until the early seventies.
At the end of Stickley Lane, on the old Ruiton Farm site, two blocks of storey flats were errected in 1961.
In the main, two and three bedroom semi-detached and blocks of terraced housing together with low rise flats and small tenements were built by the local Authority.
Much of the social housing is now in private ownership and new housing has also been built on vacant land.
The Estate was served by The Ellowes public house and a row of shops in Park Road.
The earliest social housing built by Sedgley Urban District Council in Lower Gornal was between 1921 and 1923 when 236 houses were built on Summer Lane.
In 1961, the Cricket Meadow Estate in Upper Gornal was nearing completion.
By 1962 private housing for the Straits Estate including Ladbrook Grove and Sandyfields Road were being completed.
Origins of Stickley, marked on 18th century maps as 'Stykeley Fields', possibly could have been named after Thomas Stukely (1525-1578).
this aye fur noggin yeds