NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Dwellings ~
Ellowes Hall ~ Farms ~ Ruiton House ~ Sam's old house ~ Petworth House ~ Pop House ~ Prefabs
Straits House ~ Prospect House ~ 8 Bull St. ~ Old Vicarage ~ Other
The Old Nail Warehouse, Vale Street, Ruiton.
Photo CDM 2016
Corner of Vale Street and Hill Street.
This is now a private dwelling, it was derelict for a number of years, from the 1980s it underwent a period of tasteful restoration.
No. 2 Coopers Bank Road.
Photo CDM 2006
Opposite Mount Road junction and Crematorium entrance.
This old Victorian cottage was demolished in 2009, two new houses were built on site.
The Limes, Church Street, Lower Gornal.
This dwelling had a corner plot at the junction of Church Street and St. James's Street, it was occupied in 1912 by Dr. Alexander McGraw McMillan, M.D., who was the Medical Officer of Health for Sedgley UDC.
1930s, John Thomas Tennant, J.P. lived there, he was a retired tailor and chairman of Sedgley U.D.C., he died in December 1933 aged 77 years.
In 1939, Henry Griffiths and wife lived here, occupation 'Autioneer'.
Dr. Donald Cunningham lived at the Limes during the 1940s-1950s, he had a distinct Scottish accent and was a much respected GP.
His surgery was located in Abbey Road at that time.
Later he moved to a new house on the Himley Road.
After 1988, The Limes had become a nursing home and known as 'New Elms', a little later it was renamed 'Lomond Vale' nursing home, it was demolished in 2008 and replaced with a small housing development.
Picture showing the site just after demolition in 2008, parts of the original stone perimeter walling has been reclaimed and rebuilt along St. James Street.
2 Straits Green.
This old cottage was demolished in 2008 and a pair of modern bungalows were erected on the plot.
Unusually, the back of the house was facing Straits Green road, it appears to have been two adjoining houses at one time.
The drywall of red sandstone has also disappeared.
this aye fur noggin yeds