NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Features ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Sports ~ Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Dwellings ~
~ Ellowes Hall ~ Farms ~ Ruiton House ~ Sam's old house ~ Petworth House ~ Pop House ~ Prefabs ~ Prospect House ~ 8 Bull St. ~ Other Places ~
Ellowes Hall c1900
Built on or near the site of the earlier building 'Faradays Cottage', or 'Ellors' as it was also known, already had some park and gardens.
Described in 1818 in Parson and Bradshaw's Staffordshire General & Commercial Directory.
"Ellers, on the west side of this parish [Sedgley], is a pleasing specimen of the taste of S. Fereday, Esq. in ornamental gardening: several varieties of the most delicious and highly flavoured fruits are cultivated in great profusion."
The new residence was built of stone from the nearby quarries, ironmaster John Turton Fereday commissioned the house in 1821 after the land was purchased from Viscount Dudley and Ward in 1820.
Sited on a rise overlooking the present Ellowes Hall School, the Hall had extensive views of the Shropshire countryside.
John Fereday vacated Ellowes for a smaller house in 1838 after a decline in his iron trade wealth, ownership passed to another family member until the Hall was sold in 1850.
John Fereday aged 20 lived at Ellowes in the 1841 census along with (his wife?) Ann and several other people.
A succession of owners followed.
1850-1854 William Baldwin.
The Baldwin family owned an ironworks in Bilston.
William Baldwin died in 1854 and his brother John continued to live at the Ellowes.
1854-1860 John Baldwin.
Mr. Baldwin moved out in 1860 and the Hall was let to William Burrows until 1865 when it was sold.
1865-1872 Charles Cochrane.
He was Mayor of Dudley.
In 1869 Cochrane took out a patent for improvements to the preparation for iron ores for smelting.
1872-1891 Sir Horace St. Paul
1891-1919 John Lloyd Gibbons.
MP for Wolverhampton South 1898 to 1900.
1919-1923 Charles Mitchell.
1923-1946 Henry Nock.
1946-1963 Nock family.
A view of Ellowes Hall from the West circa 1925 (John Price Postcard).
Another view of the Ellowes, from the North West, showing the coach road up to the Hall. (John Price Postcard).
There were extended periods when the Hall was unoccupied.
The Ellowes was occupied by the Home Guard during the Second World War.
The Hall was demolished in 1964 when a fire started by vandals had left the building unsafe.
Moden Hill Lodge.
This was the main entrance to Ellowes Hall, the Grecian style lodge that stood at the entrance no longer exists but would have been situated just to the right of the iron gates.
From the main entrance, the old coach road continues for half a mile, much of it still exists, although a little overgrown, there is plenty evidence of the sandstone walling that skirted both sides of the coachway, the drive now terminates at the small pools which were once a central feature of the landscaped gardens.
A short distance after the pools, the drive would have originally swept up and away to the left up to the elevated frontage of the Hall
The left iron gatepost still remains with a small section of ornate railings and stone wall, this gives an indication of how this feature gateway would have looked.
Another remaining feature of the estate is the 'Sugar Well' so named because of the particularly sweet water which fed the ornamental pools, the pools and well are still in existence.
In the Rookery to the South of the Hall, five artificial caves formed an unusual subterranean folly.
The West Lodge provided an entrance from Cotwall End Road, this was an ornate stone built cottage.
The lodge was occupied by the Flavell family c1900.
The Lodge and eastern trade entrance to the Hall was from Holloway Street, this track led down to the rear of the Hall.
The track later became 'Holloway Street West' and the Lodge was on the corner where it meets with Holloway Street.
Holloway Street West now terminates at a small trading estate on the right.
The two story lodge had a single bedroom upstairs, downstairs incorporated a living room, scullery and toilet.
Holloway Lodge was demolished in the 1940s.
Hidden among the undergrowth, a brick-built icehouse which was inset into the steep bank below the Hall.
A couple of steps led down into the icehouse which was about ten feet in diameter and circular, it had a domed roof.
The Icehouse is clearly marked on the Ordinance Survey map of 1881.
Presently the icehouse is on private property and the entrance has been bricked up
Ellowes takes its name from 'Ellen Valle' (Valley), this is marked on a 18th century map of 'Gwarnell' as running along the low lying area of the Cotwall End valley or 'dingle' which the Hall overlooked.
Cora Goffin, 1902-2004.
Some scenes of the silent film short 'Romance & Reality' (1921) starring Cora Goffin was filmed at the Hall.
Local legend has it that the 'Grey Lady' haunts the Ellowes grounds and School,
she is said to have drowned in the pool after a coach overturned at the bottom of the drive.
A small farm called 'Abbey Farm', in the grounds near the gully from the ornamental ponds was partly destroyed by fire in 1919.
this aye fur noggin yeds