|
|
|
|
Landmarks ~
Churches ~
Pubs ~
Shops ~
Amenities ~
Dwellings ~
Events ~
Schools ~
Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Folklore ~ Families
~ Gallery - Dwellings ~
Ellowes Hall ~
Farms ~
Ruiton House ~
Sam's old house ~
Petworth House ~
Pop House ~
Prefabs
Round House ~ Straits House ~ Prospect House ~ The Quarries ~ 8 Bull St. ~ Old Vicarage ~ Other
Farms
Abbey Farm, Gornal Wood ~
Abbey Farm, Ruiton ~
Conqueror's Farm ~
Cooper's Bank Farm ~
Cotwall End Farm
Graveyard Farm ~ Huntsmill Farm ~ Robert's Green Farm ~ Ruiton Farm ~ Straits Farm ~ Spout House Farm ~ Other Farms
Cotwall End Farm.
Cotwallend House, photo: E.A. Underhill c1912.
Cotwall End (earlier Cotwallend) is a small hamlet in the Manor of Sedgley, at the head of Cotwall End Valley.
Cotwall End House and farm buildings once stood here but were later lost to development.
1885: To be Let; Cotwall End House and farm.
Jacob Lister, a 'Retired House Agent' lived at the farm house in 1901.
By 1921 Jacob's daughter Clara Amelia Lister, then a 63‑year‑old single woman of private means, occupied Cotwallend House.
There were several changes of residents during the first part of the 20th century: Mr J. Polton, Mr Brown and the Kinsey family.
The House was up for sale in 1933 with vacant possession.
1939: John Kinsey in Residence.
News Snip; "DIED MILKING COW" "While milking a cow on Sunday, Mrs. Mary Kinsey, aged 64, widow, of Cotwall End Farm, Sedgley, collapsed and died. At to-day’s inquest it was stated that death was due to heart failure and a verdict of natural causes was returned."
The house and farm buildings were in a state of dereliction by the 1950's and part ruined, all were demolished around 1961.
In 1967, a proposal to develop about 1,000 new homes on the 123 acres of Cotwall End Farm and Spout House Farm was considered, but the local council rejected it. The farm site being landscaped and rebuilt afterwards, later known as 'Critter's Farm', and currently as 'Brockswood Animal Sanctuary' and part of the Cotwall End Nature Reserve, it is open to the public.
In the 20th century the farmhouse was called 'Cotwall End House' and was the residence of the [xx] family;
it retained only a small farming interest and remained a private residence in its final years.
The photos on this page were taken by Sedgley photographer and author Edwin A. Underhill, these are part of
a series of twelve mounted photographs in his book of locally inspired poetry published in 1932.
'"Patchwork" Around the Beacon (Sedgley) and other Poems', is a very limited publication with the mounted photographs and quite a rare book. According to the author, the photos are from negatives taken 20 years previous, some of these views have been produced as post cards.
A Cotwall End photograph by E.A. Underhill c1912.
The above photograph was apparently taken from the top gate of Cotwallend House near to the Moden Hill junction
looking down Catholic Lane towards Cotwall End Road.
~
|
|
|