NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Dwellings ~
Ellowes Hall ~ Farms ~ Ruiton House ~ Sam's old house ~ Petworth House ~ Pop House ~ Prefabs
Straits House ~ Prospect House ~ 8 Bull St. ~ Old Vicarage ~ Other
Petworth House - Miners Welfare, Church Street, Lower Gornal.
In 1869 Mr. Thomas Gould, solicitor, moved to Gornal and this house became his residence, the house was named after his birthplace in Petworth, Sussex, Thomas William Dalton Gould died on 29th May, 1909.
His widow Emily was still living there in 1912 with her family, she died in 1919.
Later, around 1915, this became the residence of Arthur Allen.
He called it 'Allendale', Mr. Allen who was a senior director of Alfred Allen Engineering of Deepdale. Lane died in 1934.
Mrs. Hannah Jane Allen, his widow, was still living at 'Allandale' in 1940 (N.B., spelling change). [Kellys Trade Directory]
1924, Dudley Chronicle, 10 July.
Petworth House or part of, was purchased and converted into a Welfare Institute for the benefit of local miners in 1924.
The 1939 Register shows Noel G. and Mary J. Potter as Steward and Stewardess at 'Miners Welfare Club', with address now being No.2 Church Street. In 1940, it was referred to as 'Gornal Miners Welfare Club' with the Hon. Sec. being J.L.Smith. [Kellys Trade Directory]
In the late 1960's, the social club moved into a new premises in Lake Street adjacent to St. Pauls Church, it later became 'The Lakes Club' but was demolished in 2003 - replaced with residential apartments.
At what point Petworth was split into the two properties is not known, however one of the dwellings is still called 'Allandale' [No.1], the other part 'Keidel House' [No.2].
Keidel House has been converted into multiple flatlets.
this aye fur noggin yeds