NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports ~ Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Dwellings ~
~ Ellowes Hall ~ Farms ~ Ruiton House ~ Sam's old house ~ Petworth House ~ Pop House ~ Prefabs ~ Prospect House ~ 8 Bull St. ~ Other Places ~
The old toll house, 486 Himley Road, near the Brick Kiln Lane junction.
The old toll house situated at Askew Bridge Gate on the Gornal/Himley border, now called Endem Cottage and much extended in recent times from the original two room cottage.
James Hale a retired coal miner aged 71 and wife Sarah lived here in 1881. [Census]
Locally known as the 'Pop House' as fizzy pop was made and sold from there.
It is now a private residence.
The Wellington to Dudley turnpike passed through Gornal Wood along the Himley Road, this toll gate was located at Askew Bridge, another toll gate was situated further up the Himley Road at Coopers Bank.
'Askew' Bridge is where Bobs (Straits) Brook passes under the Himley Road.
During the 18th Century, tolls were introduced for carriages and animals in order to maintain the roadways, this toll funding continued until the late 19th Century.
In the 17th Century, Dud Dudley is said to have set up a furnace for a new process of smelting iron using pit coal in the fields and woods to the North side of Askew Bridge.
The furnace bellows were likely powered by water from Bobs Brook.
this aye fur noggin yeds