NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Dwellings ~
Ellowes Hall ~ Farms ~ Ruiton House ~ Sam's old house ~ Petworth House ~ Pop House ~ Prefabs
Straits House ~ Prospect House ~ 8 Bull St. ~ Old Vicarage ~ Other
Ruiton House, Vale Street, Upper Gornal.
One of the oldest dwellings in the area, built around 1750, this large rambling house has had lots of additions in recent times, it is still a private residence.
Occupied by Mr. William Chrisoston Wood in 1851. [Melville Directory]
This was once the residence of local dignitary William Pike Gibbons, 1856-1925, third son of Benjamin and Emily Gibbons, he was Justice of the Peace and a public figure, he joined his brother Benjamin Gibbons Jnr., at Gibbons Dibdale Works.
W.P. Gibbons married Violet Mary Stevenson in 1894 and were living at Ruiton House until 1912, after which he moved to the Foxhills, Wombourne.
The partnership between Benjamin Gibbons and W. P. Gibbons of Dibdale, trading in gas retorts and other fire clay goods and colliery owners was dissolved in 1895.
1927 Sale Notice: Dudley Chronical, 21 April.
1861: Birmingham Journal, Saturday 01 June.
1883 newspaper sale notice:
Occupied by Mr. William Lees and William Smith, J.P. in 1916. [Kelly's Directory]
It is rumoured that the house contained prisoner cells."
this aye fur noggin yeds