~ Gallery - Dwellings ~
The Ellowes
The Ellowes Estate
Derived from 1844 Tithe map, showing location of Ellowes Hall.
Since the 1960's the school playing fields would be on the left side. and a housing development on the right-hand side and Stickley Lane on the lower side.
The Ellowes Estate spread around 30 acres of meadow, pasture, woods.
In the vicinity of the hall were gardens, follies and parkland.
The map to the right shows the Hall's location, with the Coach Road leading North to the lodge at Moden Hill.
The Eastern service road leads to the Lodge on Holloway Street.
Stickley Lane later came into being just at the bottom of the map.
In 'Spring Piece' the 'Sugar Well" is marked (see later), the well also fed the small ornamental pools.
From the main entrance, the old coach road, which is covered separatly, continues for half a mile, much of it still exists.
The Coach road is a little overgrown, but there is plenty evidence of the sandstone walling that skirted both sides of the coachway, the drive now terminates at the small pools which were once a central feature of the landscaped gardens.
A short distance after the pools, the drive would have originally swept up and away to the left up to the elevated frontage of the Hall
A view of 'The Pool - Ellowes Hall' circa 1920/30s
(John Price Postcard).
The top pool of three small ornamental pools that follow a ravine towards the dingle on the Ellowes Hall estate.
A view of the Pool today (2016).
Now green with algae and rather overgrown, the other two pools are almost empty and show little signs of their previous splendour but are still fed with a trickle from the 'Sugar Well'.
The Sugar Well


The 'Sugar Well', now overgrown and surrounded by new housing

Another remaining feature of the estate is the 'Sugar Well' so named because of the particularly sweet water which also fed the ornamental pools below, the pools and well are still preserved despite the former surrounded on three sides by modern housing.
In his book "Sedgley Sundries" published around 1904, Edward Nayler writes:- "On the estate of John Lloyd Gibbons, Esq., is a notable spring, yeilding a copious supply of very pure water, and many of the cottagers at Ruiton are dependant upon this source for their supply.
It forms a stream which skirts the Ellowes Park, and joins the brook rising at rising at the Whitewell." [Straits Brook, Near Spout House Farm]
In the Rookery to the South of the Hall, five artificial caves or grottoes formed an unusual subterranean folly.
The grottoes were about ten feet in diameter and built of Gornal Stone with short interconnecting passageways, each cave was decorated with animal bones and shells and each had an outside entrance.
The presence of the 'caves' led to the popular belief of a tunnel leading to Dudley Castle, however this is pure fantasy.
Hidden among the undergrowth, a brick-built icehouse which was inset into the steep bank below the Hall.
A couple of steps led down into the icehouse which was about ten feet in diameter and circular, it had a domed roof.
The Icehouse is clearly marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1881.
Presently the icehouse is on private property and the entrance has been bricked up
The overgrown icehouse which once served the Hall, now on private prperty. The entrance is now bricked up, the top of the arched entrance can just be seen.
1924. Dudley Chronical, 4th December.
RICK BLAZE AT ELLOWES HALL - A rick blaze occurred in the grounds of Ellowes Hall on Saturday week, the rick is the property of Mr. Harry Nock, The Delph, Brierley Hill, and consisted of forty tons of hay, three of which were destroyed. The Dudley fire brigade turned out at 2.30 p.m., under the Chief Constable, (Mr J.M. Campbell), and were at the scene of the fire until 6 p.m. Although the rick has been banked up, it is still smouldering. The estimated damage is 20, which is covered by insurance. The origin of the fire is supposed to be spontaneous combustion.
In the Birmingham Post newspaper of 1865, there is a note to the editor regarding the history of Sedgley from an anonomous source that states:
"OLD ABBEY - On the estate of 'The Ellowes' or 'Eblavales'[sic], the property of Major Barrows, are the ruins of a very ancient chapel, which probably was formerly constituted a cell to Dudley Priory, but I have been unable to meet with any record of it; however, there is reason to believe that some MSS. in the library of Oscott College would throw light on it".
A small farm called 'Abbey Farm', in the grounds near the gully from the ornamental ponds was partly destroyed by fire in 1919.
This could well be connected with the previous statement.
The Farm was little used after this time, the ruins were demolished to make way for the new school playing fields in 1966.
~