NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Industrial ~
Alfred Allen & Sons Ltd.
1938 trade advert. (Grace's Guide to British Industrial Heritage)
Deepdale Lane, Lower Gornal
The works at Deepdale bank was situated opposite the Horse and Jockey Inn (Black Bear).
The company produced metal fabrications mainly for industry such as water tanks, hoppers and chutes, in the early days they were mainly colliery furniture manufactures.
A works gathering at Alfred Allen, unknown date.
Photo courtesy of J. Powers.
His father Edwin Allen, of Deepdale Lane was listed as a Colliery Furnisher in 1901, Alfred Allan & Son company was established by 1903.
The company appeared in the same 1916 trade directory as Alfred Allen & Son Limited, colliery furniture manufacturers.
The factory was demolished around 2002 and the land cleared ready for redevelopment.
Luxury and rather elegant 'Regency Court', a block of luxury apartments were built on the site in 2004.
Dibdale Works, Lower Gornal.
Formed in 1931 as G.W.B. Furnaces, this is another engineering company from Dibdale Lane that grew from small beginnings into an international company.
The company produced electric furnaces and as G.W.B. Boilers at the same works, industrial boilers and associated equipment.
GWB's large modern office complex off Jews Lane was taken over by 'Computeach' and renamed 'University House' after the GWB works relocated.
Computeach International was a remote IT learning/training organisaion which moved their operations to Jews Lane in 1990, the company wound-up in 2015.
The Black Country is well known for safe making, and safe making continues in Gornal.
A trade directory of 1880 lists Charles Daniel from Stafford, safe maker. In the 1871 census he is listed as an iron safe manufacturer, living at nr. 10 Chapel Walk, Gornal Wood.
An old map c1890 shows a Safe Works established off Bull Street, the works was located near Chapel Walk.
This could have belonged to Charles Daniel, or later to Bradley & Flavell, more info sought on this.
In 1896 Bradley & Flavell, were safe makers in Lower Gornal according to Kelly's Trade Directory.
Arthur Moss of Upper Gornal, was also a well known safe maker, an example of one of their safes is on display in the Black Country Museum.
Moss was licensee of the aptly named Painters Arms in Upper Gornal, it seems likely that the works was adjacent to the pub.
Arthur Henry Moss, age 33, was living at 5 Church Street, Lower Gornal in 1901, occupation 'Safe Maker', together with his wife Caroline and family including Son Arthur Henry age 5. [Census]. In 1897 Arthur Moss was living at No.3 Church Street and an address in Kent Street, Upper Gornal, in 1899 Arthur Henry Moss was still living at No.3.
Stephen Cox Safe Works was established on the Dudley Road, Sedgley in 1890, Stephen Cox & Son were listed in a 1896 trade directory, the firm was trading until recent times, and produced a range of safes of both free standing and bank strong rooms.
They moved to Pensnett Trading Estate in the early 1970s but went into receivership in 1982.
The works on Dudley Road was demolished in the 1970s and six new detached houses built on the site.
Safe making in Gornal continues, Dudley Safes Ltd., in Deepdale Lane are one of the top manufacturers.
Newspaper advert from 1955
Russells Forge and Engineering Co. (Gornal) Ltd.
Holloway Works, Lower Gornal.
The works was started around 1947 in Holloway Street, Lower gornal, operating through 1950s making wrought iron gates and railings etc.
In 1965, Russell's Forge was acquired by H.F. Shaw Ltd., a large engineering and steel fabricating works on Burton Road, Dudley.
At this time, the Holloway works was expanded to also take on Shaw's architectural ironwork range under the name of 'Clyde Craft'.
It appears that Russell's moved to the Burton Road factory in the 1970s.
DMW Motorcycles, Valley Road Works, Upper Gornal
See Transport - Road
Deepdale Lane, Lower Gornal.
In 1949, engineers Josiah and Arthur Nock joined with Harry Cashmore to form Deepdale Engineering - a small engineering works in Deepdale Lane.
In the 1950s, the Company expanded and moved to Dudley and still is a major engineering concern there producing pipework and heavy fabrications.
Edward Elwell, Upper Gornal.
Listed in a trade directory as a Spade & Shovel Manufacturer, Upper Gornal.
A number of Fire Iron Manufacturers were working in Upper Gornal in 1851, including Joseph Porter and William Mills.
this aye fur noggin yeds