~ Gallery - Shops ~
Abbey Road, Gornal Wood.
Abbey Road was and is the centre of Gornal Wood, it has changed quite a lot over time, in the 1960s a parade of modern shops were built on the land previously occupied by Turner's slaughter house.
Now, the Zoar Church towers over the bus station which has been improved and enlarged over the years.
The 'Duckle'.
The real photo postcard c1964, entitled 'Bus Terminus, Gornal Wood' although not actually showing the terminus, the girl is standing in what once was the 'duckle' (duck 'ole), a small duck pond in the centre of the village, a small street market previously occupied the bus stops in the 1930s, now the whole site is covered by the bus terminus.
The prominent Zoar Church and Sunday School stand behind, the Sunday School pictured was demolished and rebuilt further back from the street.
The Junction Inn can be seem in the far background along with the row of old shops along Louise Street.
Eggintons Chemist.
J.T. Egginton opened a chemist shop in Gornal sometime around 1915, he was advertising for a shop manager in 1924, the shop was then situate at 12 Church Street, Lower Gornal.
The Gornal branch of Egginton's chemist moved to the present premises in Abbey Road, Gornal Wood in the early 1940s, the above building style suggest an earlier use as a garage or car repair business.
J.T. Egginton & Son Chemist were trading in Abbey Road in 1940 according to Kelly's Trade Directory.
J.T. Egginton started the family business in Sedgley in the early 1900s, the pharmacy on the corner of Sedgley High Street became a successful business and expanded to include a department store which was a prominent feature of Sedgley Bull Ring until the 1970s.
Egginton's Gornal Wood branch was comparatively small to the shop in Sedgley, but is still a thriving family run business today.
The adjacent building is presently used as a storeroom, it was previously used as an engineers workshop and in the 1960s, this was the premises of Gornal Tyres before they moved to Burton Road.
It is thought that the above Eggington buildings were originally built and used as a motor garage; George Hodgson was mentioned in the London Gazette of 1939 as (previously) "carrying on a business at Abbey Road Garage, Gornal Wood" .
Abbey Road has changed a lot over the years, nowadays a row of modern shops, a small supermarket and car parking mingle with the neighbouring bus station.
In 1967 the new shopping parade was planned in Abbey Road at a cost 120,000, consisting of eight shops with flats above and car parking at the front, the shops were completed in 1968, some of the early tennants were Warringer & Mason, Shand Fisheries, F.Holt and the Midland Bank on the corner which is now occupied by the Dudley Building Society.
Above, locals boarding the 286 which also circulates the Stickley Estate, the Gornal Wood bus station has undergone various improvements and updated recently.
The distant large building on the right is the rear of the Alexandra Picture House in Redhall Road, on the left is a partial view of Barclays Bank, the bank closed in 2016 and was adapted as a Charity Shop in 2017.
A few older shops with a little history.
In the 1900s the old Post Office occupied the premises where the Chinese Takeaway is now, then during the 1960s the Post Office moved over to the shop next but one and expanded to include a stationers and bookshop, this shop is now the Village Cafe, 11A Abbey Road.
The Post Office later moved into Louise Street.
The above view shows on the left - the Gornal Wood Post Office (11A, which is now the Village Cafe). William Davies and later William Share was sub-postmaster, and produced several postcard views of Gornal including this one of their Post Office, some earlier views were also published in the 1930's.
Rene Evans wool shop can be seen in the center at No.12, earlier this was Beatrice Jones' draper shop, presently the chinese takeaway.
On the right is Turner's butcher shop with slaughter house in the background, all of which were demolished in the mid-1960s and replaced with the modern parade of shops which opened in 1968.
It has been suggested that the slaughterhouse wall to the right was 'where they put the pig on the wall to watch the band go by', as so the Gornal Legend goes.
The Old Doctors Surgery (now the bookies)
photo CDM 2014
In 1887, trading as butchers, were Wood and Hale, Richard Wood and George Hale, the partnerships was dissolved in 1888.
Further up near where Bank Road adjoins Abbey Road, was the doctors surgery, the bookies has occupied this place since the surgery moved in the early sixties to its present position in Bull Street.
The following businesses were among those trading in Abbey Road in 1912. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
John Massey, draper.
Joseph Hill, general dealer.
The following businesses were among those trading in Abbey Road in 1916. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
13. Edward Turner, butcher.
Reuben Burrows, greengrocer..
The following businesses were among those trading in Abbey Road in 1921. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
11a. William Davies, newsagent.
13. Edward Turner, butcher.
Reuben Burrows, greengrocer..
The following businesses were among those trading in Abbey Road in 1924. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
11a. William Davies, stationer & bookseller.
12. Beatrice Jones (Mrs), draper.
12. Joshua Jones, carpenter, Post Office.
13. Edward Turner, butcher.
Reuben Burrows, greengrocer.
The following businesses were among those trading in Abbey Road in 1928. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
11a. William Davies, stationer & bookseller.
12. Joshua Jones, carpenter, Post Office.
12. Beatrice Jones (Mrs), draper.
13. Edward Turner, butcher.
Reuben Burrows, greengrocer.
The following businesses were among those trading in Abbey Road in 1936. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
11a. William Davies, stationer & bookseller.
12. Beatrice Jones, draper.
12. Joshua Jones, carpenter, Post Office.
13. Edward Turner, butcher.
James Henry Burrows, greengrocer.
J.T.Eggington & Son, chemists.
Charles Hodgson, motor garage.
Robert A. Wasdell, hairdresser.
The following businesses were among those trading in Abbey Road in 1940. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
11a. William Davies, stationer and book seller.
12. Beatrice Jones (Miss), draper.
13. Edward Turner & Sons, butchers.
14: Arthur Flavell, shopkeeper.
J. T. Egginton & Son, chemists.
James Henry Burrows, greengrocer.
The following businesses were among those trading in Abbey Road in 1950s-1960s.
Edward (Teddy) Turner, butchers. Now demolished, this and the paddock for the slaughterhouse later became a parade of new shops.
'Rene' Evans, haberdashery and wool shop, later to become M.R.Timms solicitors, and now a chinese takeaway.
The following businesses were among those trading in Abbey Road in 1970s-1980s
Millards Bakery, now a cafe.
Malcolm [Pugh] TV, small shop sandwiched between Millards and Timms.
M. R. Timms solicitors, a chinese takeaway since 2002. Timms moved to Louise Street.
Abbey Road, recent activity timeline...
11A Abbey Road.
2011-Present: Village Cafe
2002-2011: Liz's Cafe.
1980s-1990s: Millards Bakery.
1957-1971: William Share, Gornal Wood Post Office.
1920s-1950s: William Davies, stationers and bookseller.
Advert c1968
12 Abbey Road.
2009-Present: Jasmines, chinese takeaway.
2002-: Silver Wok, chinese takeaway.
1990s-2002: M.R.Timms, solicitors.
1960s-1980s: Evans, wool shop and haberdashery.
12A Abbey Road.
2010-present:Bronzella, tanning shop.
A.Massey, TV and radio servicing.
1980s: Malcome TV, TV sales and repairs.
1950's: Tel-Rad Services, radio and TV shop, prop. Mr. Fieldhouse.
13 Abbey Road.
1980s-Present: Spar, mini-supermarket.
1980s: Cut Cost, mini-supermarket.
1970s-1980s: Family Fare, mini-supermarket.
1968-1970s: Red Robin, mini-supermarket.
14 Abbey Road.
2016-Present: Abbey Road Traditional Butchers.
2000-2011: Rob Middleton, butchers.
1980s-1990s: Boxley's, butchers.
1970s: E.Hodgetts & Son, butchrs.
15 Abbey Road.
1970s-Present: Village Fisheries, fish and chip shop.
1968-1970s: Star News, newspaper shop
16 Abbey Road.
1968-Present: Washeteria - Drycleaners
17 Abbey Road.
1990s-Present: New Express, newsagents & off-license.
1970s-1990s: Express & Star, newsagents.
18 Abbey Road.
2000s-Present: Co-op Pharmacy.
1970s-2000s: Tilly & Daniels, dispensing chemist.
19 Abbey Road.
1996-Present: Rusell's Fruiterers, greengrocers.
1968-1996: G & R Lee, fruiters & greengrocers.
20 Abbey Road.
1980s-Present: Dudley Building Society.
1968-1980s: Midland Bank.
The Surgery, Abbey Road.
??-Present: Wilf Gilbert, bookmakers.
1968-1970s: H & H Turf Accountants, bookmakers.
-1960: Doctors Surgery.
Eggington Chemist, Abbey Road.
1940s-Present: Eggington Chemist.
Other premises in Abbey Road.
11: Red Lion, public house.
Zoar Church.
Gornal Library.
Bus Station.
~