~ Gallery - Shops ~
Barclays Bank, Zoar Street, Gornal Wood
Barclay and Company Limited was formed in 1896 from 20 small but established private family banks.
No. 12, Zoar Street.
photo CDM 2019
Barclays continued to expand, resulting in an initial 182 branches.
Gornal already had a bank, a branch of the United Counties Bank situated at No. 12 Zoar Street, this had opened in 1900.
United Counties had many branches around Birmingham and the Black Country, and in 1916, it was absorbed by Barclays and No.12 became the local Barclays branch in Gornal.
In 1940, according to Kelly's Trade Directory, Barclays Bank Ltd., a sub branch of Sedgley, was situated at Nr.12 Zoar Street and was open Tuesdays and Thursdays 10am to 1pm.
Barclays continued to trade from No. 12 until 1958 when it moved over the road to No.50 Zoar Street, this was previously a Grocers Shop belonging to William Marsh.
No 12 appears to have since be used as a private residence.
Nr 50. Zoar Street.
As No.50 currently looks.
Photo 2019
No.50 was probably built in the Edwardian era, and is slightly newer than the adjacent building.
Barclays occupation was short lived, probably while more suitable premises were sought.
No.50, the old bank premises became the British Gas sales showroom, and in 1995 adapted as a fast food delivery service (Dial-a-Curry), a year later it became 'Spices' Indian take-away which is still trading from there.
The new premises.
Around 1966, the bank moved from the old premises at Nr.50 Zoar Street to new modern purpose built bank adjacent, spanning the corner of Zoar Street and Abbey Road, to become 51 Zoar Street.
Despite a petition, Barclays closed it's Lower Gornal branch on the 9th October, 2015, after nearly 100 years in Gornal.
This has left the village without any banking facilities.
The Barclays building has subseqently became a charity shop for Compton Hospice.
~
Barclays Bank, Upper Gornal.
The Barclays branch in Upper Gornal has long since closed.
Barclays moved to the above new building in Kent Street in the mid-sixties.
This was located near the shopping precinct next to what is now Kents Fish & Chip shop.
The old Barclays Bank, presumably in Kent Street, but not sure of the location.
~