NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Schools ~
Redhall Primary School, Zoar Street, Redhall.
A view looking down Zoar Street, with Redhall Schools to left and right.
1884: Dudley and District News, 22 November.
1891: Journal - 'The Builder', July.
Redhall is an infant and junior school, however before the Ellowes School was built, it also provided secondary education for Gornal children.
The early Redhall schools were part of the National School established in 1876.
The new school building was designed by architect Mr. H. Brevitt of Wolverhampton, to accommodate 280 children, the school was erected in 1890 at a cost of £2,800.
The school was formally opened in 1891 by the Reverend C.G. Rienzi of the Sedgley School Board in the presence of local officials, teachers and scholars.
In the first years an average of 110 children attended, Miss Harris was the school mistress.
In 1894 a second school was opened opposite with a capacity for 500 boys and girls and 210 infants.
The average attendance was 309 boys, 235 girls and 270 infants.
1896 [Kelly's Directory] Joseph Westwood, master, Miss Willets, girls, Miss Taylor, infants' mistress.
The first headmaster of Redhall School, was Joseph Westwood, he was born in Sedgley in 1858, the son of Joseph and Sarah Westwood.
Joseph and his wife Mary lived at The School House, No.1 Temple Street in 1901, and then in Zoar Street in 1911. They had several children: Joseph Orton, William Oscar, Mildred, John and Mary
Joseph later became headmaster at Robert Street School.
In 1900, the two schools were combined extending the spaces to 400 boys and 402 girls as well as 368 infants.
The average attendance was nearly 1000 children at the turn of the century.
In 1904, the staff included; Joseph Westwood, master; Miss R. Leggott, mistress; Miss S.A. Allen, infants' mistress.
In 1912, Edwin Westwood had swapped places with Joseph by moving to Redhall School. Miss R. Leggott remained as mistress and now Miss J. Henderson was in charge of the infants.
Average attendance at this time was 396 boys, 397 girls and 305 infants.
Miss M.L. Rogerson became infants mistress by 1916, and then in the period 1921-1924 Miss M.E. Ashton was infants mistress.
One of the school buildings as it appears on the left going down Zoar Street.
Redhall closed for secondary education on 23rd July, 1965 and the local secondary intake was transferred to the newly built Ellowes School in Stickley Lane.
About 450 pupils still attend the Redhall Infant and Junior Schools, which are still spread between the two buildings either side of the road, the infants occupying the older building.
this aye fur noggin yeds