~ Gallery - Industrial ~
Graveyard Colliery.
William Hughes & Sons were coalmasters in 1865. [Jones's Mercantile Directory]
W. Hughes and Co., proprietors in 1877.
Described in Kelly's Trade Directory in 1872 as "HUGHES, William & Sons, coal masters, Graveyard Collieries".

1845 Newspaper Sale Notice.

To be Sold by Private Contract, six Messuages or Dwelling Houses, Gardens, and Premises, with the Flour Shop and piece of Land adjoining, containing together three acres or thereabouts, with the Mines of Coal and Ironstone in and under the same, situate at the Grave Yard, in the parish of Sedgley, in the county of Stafford.

The Wolverhampton Chronicle, April 23, 1845.


NEGLECTING TO FENCE A SHAFT - Jacob Carter appeared on a summons taken out by Mr. Baker, the Government inspector, to answer a charge of having neglected properly to fence a sinking shaft at the Old Graveyards Colliery [sic], near Lower Gornal. It appeared that the defendant and two other working colliers arranged with the occupier, Mr. Bagley, farmer, to sink a shaft in this old colliery which has long been abandoned, with a view to discover if any remnants of coal worth getting could be found. They sunk the shaft to the depth of about 16 yards and then began to sink another at a few yards distance. It was On the 15th of August, a few days after they had commenced working, Thomas Kitson, a boy four years and a half old, fell down the shaft, and died on the following day from the injuries he received. It was proved that the pit mouth, though partially fenced with chains and what is called a damp-sheet, was not by any means secure. The defendant was fined 5 and costs, and the bench at his request allowed him ten days to pay it.

The Staffordshire Advertiser, Saturday January 3, 1863.



A shocking accident has just occured at the Graveyard Colliery, Lower Gornal, Sedgley, whereby John Timmings has lost his life and another man named Shooker has been seriously injured. The two unfortunate men, with others, were engaged at work in the colliery, when a fall of coal took place, breaking Timming's back, and from the effects of which he shortly afterwards died.
The Huddersfield Daily Chronical, Tuesday January 163, 1877.


Mr JOHN BENT will SELL BY AUCTION, by order of the Mortgagees, on FRIDAY NEXT, the 12th of May, at the house of Mrs. Elizabeth Wilkes, the Red Cow Inn, at the Grave Yard aforesaid, at six o'clock in the evening:-
consisting of all those several COTTAGES, GARDENS, and LAND situate at the Grave Yard, in the parish of Sedgley, containing in the whole 6 ½ Acres, or thereabouts; and all the ungotten MINES of COAL, CLAY, IRONSTONE, and other mines and minerals thereunder, formerly occupied and worked by Mr. Francis Hill Bagley.
The above property will be sold, as now occupied, for the residue of an unexpired term of ninety-eight years (less one year), created by an Indenture of Lease bearing date of 24th November 1790, subject to a ground rent of 8.12s., payable half-yearly and to the conditions to be read at the time of Sale.
Dando and Co. Pottack mine, Graveyard employing 22 below and 7 above ground in 1908.
Grosvenor Colliery Company Ltd., 1930s.
Pit No.2 closed in 1938 due to flooding, Pit No 3 was exhausted and closed a year later, pit no.1 contiued until at least 1945 and employing fifteen men below and six men above ground, principly a fireclay pit.