NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports ~ Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Industrial ~
Alfred Allen & Sons Ltd.
1938 trade advert. (Grace's Guide to British Industrial Heritage)
Deepdale Lane, Lower Gornal
The works at Deepdale bank was situated opposite the Horse and Jockey Inn (Black Bear).
The company produced metal fabrications mainly for industry such as water tanks, hoppers and chutes, in the early days they were mainly colliery furniture manufactures.
A works gathering at Alfred Allen, unknown date.
Photo courtesy of J. Powers.
Alfred Allen owned and occupied a large house which he named 'Allendale', the building is still present in Church Street.
His father Edwin Allen, of Deepdale Lane was listed as a Colliery Furnisher in 1901, Alfred had just been born.[Census]
The factory was demolished around 2002 and the land cleared ready for redevelopment.
Luxury and rather elegant 'Regency Court', a block of luxury apartments were built on the site in 2004.
Fibre Form Limited.
Holloway Street, Lower Gornal.
This factory produced products for the electronics industry, notably TV and radio backs.
1960s employment advert.
The Fibre Form factory closed in the 1980s.
M & J Drilling Services Ltd took over the use of the building in 1995 for a few years before moving to Tipton in 2008.
The buildings were demolished in early 2009 to make way for yet another housing development.
Hermit Cupola Chimneys
Hermit Industries Co.
Holloway Street, Lower Gornal.
Hermit Industries was established in 1947.
The foundry produced ferrous and non-ferrous castings for the engineering industry.
The cupola 'chimneys' were an integral part of producing castings and were a local landmark, the furnaces were located at the bottom of these stacks and were coke fired.
The works was rather unpopular with nearby residents because of the smell and dust emitted from the prominent fifty foot stacks, this was one factor that eventually resulted in the demise of the foundry.
In February 1964, part of the works was badly damaged when a fire broke out in the pattern shop, just after the workers had left.
The foundry closed in the 1990s with the loss of eighteen jobs, the firm not being able to meet pollutant requirements and suffering from foreign competition.
The Hermit Industries company was wound up in 2000 and along with the Fibreform factory, was demolished in 2008 to make way for yet more housing.
Newspaper advert from 1955
Russells Forge and Engineering Co. (Gornal) Ltd.
Holloway Works, Lower Gornal.
The works was operating in the 1950s, making wrought iron gates and railings etc.
The rear of the old Candle Works.
Looking through the undergrowth from the railway walk, 2015
Cinder Road, Gornal Wood.
Thomas Glaze started up candlemaking at Sandfields around 1880, candles were supplied for the mining industry as well as for domestic use.
The works was situated right on the parish boundary with Pensnett, near to and opposite the Chase Road junction.
First noted as a 'candle works' on an Ordnance Survey map of the 1920s - the buildings pre-date 1880.
The candle works closed in the late 1960s, only a couple of the old buildings remain, and presently the site has small industrial units.
Need more info on the works.
Trade Advertisement c1965.
S & W Glazed Tile Co. Ltd.
384 Himley Road, Gornal Wood.
This small works established in 1937, made tiled fireplaces and other fireplace accessories, particularly popular in the 1950-60s,
The business was situated in a building adjacent to Walter Mills coach garage on the Himley Road.
The Black Country is well known for safe making, and safe making continues in Gornal.
1896, Bradley & Flavell, were safe makers in Lower Gornal [Kelly's Directory]
An old map c1890 shows a Safe Works established off Bull Street, the works was located near Chapel Walk.
This could have belonged to Bradley & Flavell, more info sought on this.
Arthur Moss of Upper Gornal, was also a well known safe maker, an example of one of their safes is on display in the Black Country Museum.
Moss was licensee of the aptly named Painters Arms in Upper Gornal, it seems likely that the works was adjacent to the pub.
Arthur Henry Moss, age 33, was living at 5 Church Street, Lower Gornal in 1901, occupation 'Safe Maker', together with his wife Caroline and family including Son Arthur Henry age 5. [Census]. In 1897 Arthur Moss was living at No.3 Church Street and an address in Kent Street, Upper Gornal, in 1899 Arthur Henry Moss was still living at No.3.
Stephen Cox Safe Works was established on the Dudley Road, Sedgley in 1890, Stephen Cox & Son were listed in a 1896 trade directory, the firm was trading until recent times, and produced a range of safes of both free standing and bank strong rooms.
They moved to Pensnett Trading Estate in the early 1970s but went into receivership in 1982.
The works on Dudley Road was demolished in the 1970s and six new detached houses built on the site.
Safe making in Gornal continues, Dudley Safes Ltd., in Deepdale Lane are one of the top manufacturers.
DMW Motorcycles, Valley Road Works, Upper Gornal
See Transport - Road
this aye fur noggin yeds