NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports ~ Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Industrial ~
Pithead at one of Earl of Dudley's Collieries, Himley,
John Price postcard c1910
The Earl of Dudleys extensive Himley Colliery pits were spread out over many acres, the main activity centred in South Himley Woods near to the Glynne Arms, and along the south side of the Himley Road, as far up as Coopers Bank, with one small pit located in Hopyard Lane, Gornal Wood.
1865 newspaper report.
The Kentish Gazette, Saturday June 6, 1865
[No.1 pit appears to have been located on the south side of the Himley Road, between Askew Bridge and The Glynne Arms.]
1878 newspaper report.
The Northampton Mercury, Saturday August 31, 1878
Hopyard Lane, Gornal Wood (Pit No.23).
This was part of the Earl of Dudley's Himley workings, Pit No.23 was located just to the south of Straits Road.
The mine was served by a railway which ran south from the workings, crossed the lower end of Brick Kiln Lane and the Himley Road by the top side of where the petrol station is, and then on past Himley Pit No.20 just south of the Himley Road, and then joined with the Earl's mineral railway (shown on 1918/1938 O/S maps).
The idea of expanding the railway to supply the Musk Lane Gas Works with coal was never fulfilled.
In 1908, Hopyard Lane employing 32 men, 27 men in 1918, 19 below ground.
Eaton Crescent and Manor Drive with modern residential properties are built over the old workings.
this aye fur noggin yeds