NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports ~ Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Industrial ~
~ Gas Works ~ Clifford Williams ~ Engineering ~ Mining ~ Quarrying ~ Bricks ~ Print ~ Works ~ Other ~
Other local collieries and pits.
Listed in Pigots Directory of 1835, Greenaway, Guest and Russell, Gornal Wood. 'Wood Colliery'.
A partnership between William Guest, Cornelius Guest and Isaac Collins was dissolved in October 1843,
They were carrying on the business of Butty Miners at the Abbey Colliery, William and Cornelius Guest continued on without Collins.
The Abbey Farm Colliery Co. in Abbey Street, was listed n a trade directory in 1936.
Swan Colliery, Lower Gornal (1870's).
The London Gazette, 11 August 1905.
In 1851, Thomas and Isaac Badger were listed as coalmasters at the Swan Colliery, Gornall wood. [Slater Directory].
The Swan Colliery Co. mentioned in 1880
Mentioned in the 1851 Census, it appears to be near to the old Toll Gate at Coopers Bank, in the vicinity of the Graveyard colliery, Dibdale.
The Swan Colliery was later owned by Elisha Marsh, John Robinson and William Leech, this partnership was disolved in 1905.
1902 newspaper report.
The Mercury, 20 June, 1902
Smith's Lane Colliery, Lower Gornal.
The Lincolnshire Chronicle, 29 July 1884.
John Hyde and Thomas Parkes, chartermasters, mentioned in a newspaper report 1884.
This location was was probably off 'Smithy' Lane, just over the border in the Parish of Pensnett.
Smithy Lane runs between Coopers Bank Road and the Cinder Road, a well know mining area.
Mining index shows this colliery in Lower Gornal in 1945, proprietor Ernest Friend, employers address was 20 Roberts Street, it employing six men below and two men above ground.
The mining index at this time, also shows E. Friend as manager of Pit 1, 2 & 3 of the Dibdale workings.
The colliery was located south of Humphrey Street, Lower Gornal and appears to be mainly open-cast.
The mine was officially abandoned on 19 March 1965, but mining activity ceased well before this time.
Afterwards, this area was used as a municipal refuse tip and now is a public recreational area.
Coopers Bank Colliery (1880's).
Shown on o/s 1881 map being on the western side of Coopers Bank Road.
1869, Thomas Webb; Oakes and Co.; Smith and Taylor; William Perry; were operating from here.
In 1880, the owner was William Webb.
Old Park Colliery (1880's).
Shown on o/s 1881 map being between Cinder Road and the Forge Inn on Forge Lane, although this came under Pensnett.
Old Park No.3 owned by J Y Price & Co. Ltd and discontinued in 1944/45.
The Birmingham Gazette, 20 December, 1915.
(William Parrish & Company).
Henry Glaze & Co. had some interest here in 1880.
In 1878, there was a mention of 'Sand Field' Colliery, Kingswinford, whereas a partnership between Henry Glaze and Edgar John Ford carrying on business as Coal Masters was dissolved. [London Gazette]
In 1908 William Parrish employed 68 men below and 29 above and the Sandfield manager was H. J. Newey.
1908 - D. Hickman and Co., 'Sandfield Bridge Pit' mining index shows this pit not worked by 1908.
H.S. Pitt & Co.
Pitt owned a large colliery at Shut End, Pensnett, employing in the region of 500 men in 1918
Sandfield No.4 was pumping only water in 1918.
The exact location of this colliery is not know but probably on the South side of the Himley Road off the Cinder Road near Sandfield Bridge just over the parish boundary in Pensnett.
Coppice Colliery, Barrow Hill.
Below are two newspaper reports an explosion which occured on January 16th, 1877
One of the men killed was Nathanial Hale, better-known as 'skunney' of Gornal Wood.
Later that year John Newey & Co. of the Barrow Hill Coppice Colliery near Gornal, were charged with six infringments of the Mines Regulation Act, the consequence of three men who had died from the effects of the explosion.
The company was found guilty of the charges and fined.
The South Wales Daily News, 18 January, 1877.
The Western Times: Exeter, Friday 19 January, 1877.
Gateacre Colliery, off Temple Street.
Proprietors in 1927 were Jones and Churmage, employing three men below and two men above ground.
Producing Coal, H & M, & Clay, Thick & Heathen.
The Birmingham Gazette, 9 July, 1923.
The London Gazette, 15 July, 1927.
Some obscure Lower Gornal collieries mentioned in mining disasters taken from newspaper reports, inaccuracies are not ruled out.
Lessures Colliery? [Leasowes?] c1880s
Manchester Courier, Friday December 12, 1884.
Budgerfield? colliery c1870s
'Badger.."? Thomas and Isaac Badger were proprietors of the Swan Colliery c1850s -see earlier.
Could this of been the same colliery?
Two following newspaper accounts in 1874 of the death of Mr. Lowe in an unusual mining accident.
Lloyds Weekly London Newspaper, December 13, 1874.
The Birmingham Daily Post, Friday December 11, 1874.
In Upper Gornal there were two major collieries:
Cartright & Co.
Mentioned in 1875 as a fireclay mining operation.
Cartwright and Co., Coal, Fire Clay & Ironstone. in 1896 were employing 40 men, 32 underground.
In 1908 Cartwright & Co., employed 25 below and 3 above, by 1917 they employed 20 below and 10 above ground, Drift No 4 employed 8 above and 3 below.
In 1923 E.P. Cartwright & Co. had at least three pits active for both fireclay and coal, one of them a drift, employing around thirty men total.
John Waterfield & Co.
Mentioned in 1875 as a fireclay mining operation.
John Waterfield & Co., Coal & Fire Clay, in 1896 were employing 21 men, 18 underground.
1908 Waterfield employed 20 men below ground and 6 above, by 1918 this was 20 below ground and 18 above.
1880, Harvey and Fithern are mentioned in the mining index at Upper Gornal.
Enoch Harvey, Coal & Ironstone, this was a minor undertaking in 1896 employing only 8 men.
Pigots Directory of 1835, lists:
Adam and David Hales, Coalmasters, Gornall.
Wood Colliery, Greenaway, Guest & Russell, Gornal Wood.
this aye fur noggin yeds