~ History ~
The Streets of Lower Gornal
The roads and streets of Lower Gornal, their past status.
This list does not include modern street names or those outside of the district.
Unless otherwise noted all these street names were listed in the 1871 Electoral Roll, earlier Census or other reliable sources.
Included are dates found of earliest references to named streets, roads etc..
It appears that before 1871, not many actual road names existed, whereas landmarks, areas, houses, pubs, etc., were usually used for directions and locations.
Street Comments
Abbey Street >1871. After Abbey Farm
Abbey Road >1871.        Ditto
Askew Bridge Road >1871.
Bank Road >1881. Bank Street in 1871.
Barr Street >1871. Named after Thomas Barr and family who owned land in the area.
Bird Street >1871.
Brook Bank Road >1881. Shown as 'Brook Bank Lane' in 1886 O/S mapx
Brook Street >1881. Old water course at rear
Bull Street >1871.
Chapel Walk >1871.
Chase Road >1871. After Pensnett Chase.
Church Street After 1815 when St. James Church was built
Cinder Road >1871. 'Cinder Lane' in 1861. Lower part called Pensnet Road in 1871
Coopers Bank Road >1871. 'Cooper's Bank Lane' in 1861
Deepdale Lane >1851.
Diddles Lane >1861. Mid 19th C. only, see 'Flavells Lane'
Duke Street >1871
East Street >1871.
Ellowes Row >1871. Old nailors houses demolished, new builds there now.
Flavells Lane >1871. Possibly 'Diddles Lane' in mid 19th Century.
Forge Road >1871. Only the Forge Inn in this lane.
Furlong Walk >1871. Named after a tithe piece called 'Furlong'
Garden Walk >1871.
Gas Street >1871. Next to Gas Works off Musk Lane - Disappeared
Graveyard Road >1871. Now Grosvenor Road, the area called The Grave Yard (18th C. Quaker burial ground)
Himley Road >1861. Eastern end called Dudley Road' in 1861, called 'Dudley and Himley Turnpike Road' 1841.
Holloway Street >1874.
Holloway Square >1871. Off Holloway Street - disappeared
Hop Yard Lane >1871. Possibly hop yards here in 18-19th Century, Gornal was famous for brewing.
Humphrey Street >1871. Called 'Fiddlers Lane' c1851
Jones Lane >1851. Disappeared, Possibly upper part of Deepdale Lane or Robert Street.
Kettles Bank Road >1871. Could originate from Brew Kettles, vessels used in brewing beer.
Lake Street >1871. Also referred to as 'The Lakes' and 'Lake Lane' in 19th C.
Louise Street >1871. Originally called 'Cock Pit Lane' also referred to as 'High Street' or 'Cock Street' in 1871
Musk Lane >1851. Due to proximity of sewerage swamp.
New Street >1861.
North Street >1874. Between Humphrey St. & Lake St., gone, part replaced with Elan Close cul-de-sac
Prices Road >1871.
Prospect Road >1871.
Redhall Road >1871. 'Red Hall Road', see explanation of Place Name 'Red Hall'
Robert Street >1874. After Roberts Green, previously called Coseley Road c1871.
Ruiton Street >1871.
St. James Street >1871. Named after the Parish Church opposite.
Smithy Lane >1861.
Straits Road >1871. See explanation of Place Name 'Straits'
Summer Lane >1871. Called 'Spout Lane', 'Smout's Lane' or 'Smout's Holloway' (1851-1871).
Summit Place >1881.
Temple Street >1871.
The Alley >1871. Part of The Alley was in Cotwall End.
Turner Street >1871.
Wakelams Fold >1881.
Water Road >1871.
West Street >1871. Virtually disappeared -reduced to obscure pathway.
Zoar Street 1901. Not in 19th Century, possibly named after the Zoar Chapel was rebuilt in 1906.
Until re-name could of been part of Abbey Road.
Other Streets named early 20th Century:
Gateacre Street
Stickley Lane
~