NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Transport ~
T. Wall Garages - Five Ways Garage.
T. Wall early days in Gornal, this was established in the 1960s and was still trading there in 1970, the company is still trading as a car main dealer in Pensnett.
The Ruiton Street premises has remained as a car sales & repair business since, however no longer connected with T. Wall.
The Shell petrol pumps have long gone.
M. Hawkins is the present proprietor of the 'Five Ways Garage'.
The Cinder Road Garage, operated by T. Wall in the advert was possibly that previously used by Bert Box who had a small coach travel business there in the 1950s.
It appears that this premises closed in the late 1960s.
Louise Street Garage
Louise Street Garage, 90 Louise Street.
The building replaced an earlier garage that was destroyed by fire.
The garage business appears to have been established in the 1930s.
Proprietors connected with motor trade in Upper Gornal.
1924: Newspaper advert
George Timmins, Motor Body Builder, Kent Street, Upper Gornal.
Listed in Kelly's Trade Directory between 1924 and 1940.
c 1960 advert.Nothing known about this garage.
1936: Edward Pyatt, garage proprietor, Clarence Street, Upper Gornal; also listed as dairyman, 41 Clarence Street. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
The garage was located near to the present Texaco filling station in Clarence Street.
Edward Pyatt was also proprietor of The Spring Farm Dairy.
1936: Victor Stockton, garage proprietor, Kent Street. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
1936: Jackson & Co., motor engineers, Kent Street. [Kelly's Trade Directory]
Further information on any of the above is sought.
this aye fur noggin yeds