NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports ~ Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Transport ~
Trams and Trolley Buses
A public transport system never touched Lower Gornal until the appearance of the motor bus, however Upper Gornal was well connected with the advent of the tramway in the 1880s which ran between Wolverhampton and Dudley.
Early trams were powered by steam, electric trams took over at the turn of the century and from the 1920s, trolley buses operated along the route.
The first tramway was proposed in 1879, it was built and operated by the Dudley, Sedgley and Wolverhampton Tramways Co. Ltd. and was opened in May 1883, it ran through Upper Gornal along Kent Steet and Clarence Street.
Initially horse drawn trams were used, but within a few years, steam powered vehicles took over the job.
The D.S. & W. struggled and after a few changes of ownership the company was bought out by the British Electric Tramway Company (BET) at the turn of the century and the route was operated by them thereafter.
The steam tram era finished and overhead wires were installed for electric powered vehicles from the early 1920s.
However, the Dudley Herald reports that electric trams first ran from Dudley to Sedgley via Upper Gornal in October 1900, it appears that it terminated at the Sedgley depot (at Upper Gornal) and did not run through to Wolverhampton at this time..
The Sedgley tram depot was situated at the side and rear of the Jack Darby Picture House in Upper Gornal and was the terminus until the route was extended to Dudley, although on an Ordinance Survey map of the 1880s it does already seem to extend to the Eastern end of Clarence Street.
The following was part of the application for the Dudley-Sedgley section of the proposed tramway published in the London Gazette, 28 November, 1879.
Tramway No. IA.
A single line 5 furlongs 7'65 chains in length, commencing in Salop Street by a junction with Tramway No. 7 at its termination as above described, passing thence into the Dudley and Wolverhampton Road, and terminating in that road at a point 7-60 chains or thereabouts from the south corner of Eve Lane leading to Coseley, at the commencement of Upper Gornal.
Tramway No. 2A.
A double line 3 chains in length, wholly situate in the Dudley and Wolverhampton Road, commencing by a junction with Tramway No. 1A at its terminations above described, and terminating at a point 4'60 chains from the south corner of the said Eve Lane leading to Coseley.
Tramway No. 3A.
A single line 3 furlongs 9'77 chains in length, wholly situate in the Dudley and Wolverhampton Road, commencing by a junction with Tramway No. 2A at its termination, as above described, and terminating 1'30 chains from the south corner of the "Jolly Crispin Inn" in Upper Gornal.
Tramway No. 4A.
A double line 3 chains in length, wholly situate in the Dudley and Wolverhampton Road, commencing by a junction with Tramway No. 3A at its termination, as above described, and terminating at a point 1'70 chains northwards from the south-east corner of the "Jolly Crispin Inn", in Upper Gornal.
Tramway No. 5A.
A single line 4 furlongs 8'83 chains in length, wholly situate in the Dudley and Wolverhampton Road, between Upper Gornal and Sedgley, commencing by a junction with Tramway No. 4A at its termination, as above described, and terminating opposite the north-east corner of the "Grand Junction Inn," at the corner of the Tipton Road.
A fine 'Corgi' diecast scale model of a Wolverhampton Corporation trolley bus on the '58' route between Wolverhampton and Dudley via Sedgley and Upper Gornal.
This particular model is based on 'EJW455', a Wolverhampton built Sunbeam W4 chassis with body by Park Royal, introduced in 1948 and withdrawn in 1967.
The trolley buses with their familiar green and cream livery and overhead wires, were operated by Wolverhampton Corporation between Cleveland Street, Wolverhampton and Stone Street, Dudley, passing through Fighting Cocks, Sedgley and Upper Gornal en-route, the familiar '58' service.
The 58 service did not always complete the full route, there was a turntable provided at the Upper Gornal tram depot, and a turning circle was available at the Green Dragon.
The Wolverhampton trolley bus service towards Sedgley started in 1925, but it took a couple of years to finally extend this service all the way to Dudley, trolley buses started to serve Upper Gornal on 11th May, 1927.
The last trolley bus ran this route on Sunday evening, 5th March 1967.
this aye fur noggin yeds