NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Features ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Sports ~ Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Transport ~
A public transport system never touched Lower Gornal until the appearance of the motor bus.
Midland Red Timetable dated March 27, 1939.
Includes Service D40 Dudley - Gornal Wood
In December, 1914, a motor-bus circular route between Dudley, Lower Gornal and Gornal Wood was proposed by the Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company.
The BMMO later became what we know as 'Midland Red', it is not known if the route was actually realized at this time, it is more likely that the proposal was shelved due to the war.
We know by 1939 the Midland Red D40 regular service was running between Dudley-King Street and Gornal Wood bus stand via Bagleys Lane (Dibdale Road), this service ran from Gornal from 6:15 AM to 11:20 PM every ten minutes at peak times, and at other times with around 30 minute intervals, a Sunday service was also scheduled from 11:30 AM to 11:20 PM but less regularly.
Gornal was well supported on this route, it seems probable that only single decker buses were used due to the road gradients especially around Temple Street.
The D6 service also ran in this era from Dudley via the Himley Road and Bull Street into Gornal Wood with a similar return journey.
The D6 was still running at least up until 1973 when the Midland Red routes were taken over by the WMPTE with the familiar cream and blue livery.
257 travelling down Bagley's Lane on it's way to Gornal Wood from Dudley, 1978.
Photo courtesy of 'Walsall1955 Flickr'.
The top end of Dibdale Road was previously known as Bagley's Lane, the photo shows the area before the Milking Bank housing development on the right and the Black Country Forest plantation on the left, Burton Road Hospital is just visible on the horizon.
'ah bin yah ah kid