NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Churches and Chapels ~
Catholic ~ Five Ways ~ St. John's Church ~ Lake Street Methodist ~ Roberts Street Baptist ~ Ruiton ~ St. Andrews
St. James the Great ~ St. Pauls Church ~ Wesleyan ~ Zoar ~ St. Peters ~ Upper Gornal Chapels
Parish Church of Saint Peter, Upper Gornal.
St Peter's Parish Church, Kent Street, Upper Gornal.
photo CDM 2019
St Peter, Church of England.
Built as a Chapel of Ease for Sedgley Parish Church, it was opened in 1841
1844, London Gazette.
"...Saint Peter's Chapel, situate at Upper Gornal affords accomodation to nine hudred and twenty one persons, including six hundred and fourty five free seats appropriated to the use of the poor..."
c1844 Plan of ground floor sittings.
Robert Ebbels, Architect
c1844 Plan of upper gallery sittings.
Robert Ebbels, Architect
1848 extract from 'A Topographical Dictionary of England'
"...The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was consecrated in July, 1843, and is a plain structure in the later English style, with turrets, built at a cost of £2389, raised by subscription, and a grant from the Incorporated Society: of 921 sittings, 645 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Sedgley; net income, £150, with a parsonage-house."
1940 Kelly's Trade Directory.....
"The church of St. Peter, Upper Gornal, is a plain building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel and nave, and a western turret containing one bell, there are 376 sittings. The register dates from the year 1844. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Vicar of Sedgley, and held since 1934 by the Rev. Henry Christopher Tunnadine M.A. of Keble College, Oxford."
The Reverend Samuel Faulkner Montgomery, from County Kildare, Ireland, was the first incumbent of St. Peters.
He had planned to join a church mission to Borneo in 1847, unfortunately before he could join the expedition, he suddenly fell ill with fever.
The died on 7th November of that year aged 37 years, and is buried at All Saints, Sedgley.
A National School was established in connection with the Church for 140 children. In 1851, Edwin Reynolds was School Master and his wife Emma was Mistress with Miss Wright in charge of infants.
In 1934 the Church proposed to pull down the old schools and the to replace with a new school which would also serve as a Parish Hall.
The Lord Bishop of Stafford conducted a dedication of memorials to the late Rev. Lewis and to the fallen of in the Great War took place on Wednesday 18 April, 1923.
Early Vicars of St. Peter.
Rev. Samuel Faulkner Montgomery, 1842-1847.
Rev. Annesley Paul Hughes, 1847-1855.
Rev. Ralph Wylde, 1855-1861.
Rev. George Girdlestone Woodhouse, 1861-1867.
Rev. William Alfred Howell Lewis, 1867-1913.
Rev. Aubrey Townsend Bennett, 1913-1934.
Rev. Henry Christopher Tunnadine, 1934-1955.
this aye fur noggin yeds