NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports ~ Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Churches and Chapels ~
~ Five Ways ~ Wesleyan ~ Lake Street Methodist ~ Roberts Street ~ Ruiton ~ St. James the Great ~ St. Pauls Church ~ St. Andrews ~ Zoar ~
~ St. Peters ~ Upper Gornal Chapels ~
Lake Street Chapel
Lake Street Methodist Church, Lake Street, Lower Gornal.
The original Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1841, the lay preacher group and thus the chapel was often referred to as 'The Ranters'.
The old chapel was located on the corner with Turner Street.
In 1926 the 'Ranters' moved into a new chapel built on the opposite side of the road and is still in use today.
W. Burrows & Co., Printers, a long established business in Lake Street, moved into the old chapel after it was vacated by the Church.
The old chapel was eventually demolished sometime in the late 1960s or early 1970s.
The new chapel was registered for solemnizing marriages on 15th March, 1927.
The locals still call it 'The Ranters'.
The original Lake Street Chapel building, c1950, by J.R.Stenson. ©
The above sketch by J.R.Stenson, shows the old Lake Street Chapel building on the corner of Turner Street, it was at that time being put to another use, the building along with the row of houses and shops on the South side of the street were demolished in the late 1960s.
Reproduced with kind permission of Mr J.R. Stenson.
this aye fur noggin yeds