NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Schools ~
No other information found for these early schools yet, but obviously related to Church and Chapels.
Source: Slaters Directory.
Wesleyan School, Gornal Wood, Sarah Langford, mistress.
Wesleyan New Connexion School, Gornal Wood, Mary Wosdel, mistress.
1890. A mixed junior school on Himley Road - probably that of The Wesleyan.
Source:- Jones's Directory.
Roman Catholic School, Lower Gornal, John Coulson, master. Ann Coulson, mistress.
On the tithe map of this date, a school is show at The Straits, near to where Straits Road converges with Sandyfields Road.
It is described as "Straights School House etc" and occupied by John Beddard, possibly associated with an early chapel there.
The Ellowes Hall Sports College, Stickley Lane, Lower Gornal.
Ellowes is a large modern comprehensive school, it is sited near where the Ellowes Hall mansion once stood and the school and grounds occupy some of the Hall's estate.
The Council had envisaged a new secondary school at Ellowes Park as early as 1957.
Building commenced in 1964 at a cost of £361.000, the Ellowes was officially opened in March 1966 as Ellowes Hall County Secondary School with around 900 places .
In recent years Ellowes has become one of the leading schools in the Black Country, serving Gornal and surrounding district and includes sixth form education.
Over 1000 pupils attend and is now part of Invictus Education Trust.
this aye fur noggin yeds