NavigationHome Where is Gornal Local History Family History Gallery Old News We Need... Dialect 'its a loff aye it' Other Stuff Links About Us Contact Us
Landmarks ~ Churches ~ Pubs ~ Shops ~ Amenities ~ Dwellings ~ Events ~ Schools ~ Sports
Industrial ~ Transport ~ Families
~ Gallery - Amenities ~
Municipal facilities were provided by Sedgley UDC.
Refuse and Tips.
Sedgley Urban District Council made good use of the areas depleted quarries and collieries for disposal of public waste in the 20th Century.
A tip at Lower Gornal, off Humphry Street, was commissioned around 1934, but was unavailable for a period due to ongoing mining operations there.
Another site, the disused quarries south of Hermit Street started being used for refuse in 1937, municipal waste for both Upper and Lower Gornal being disposed of there.
Some old quarries off Holloway Street were also being used for waste disposal, these had nearly been filled by 1953.
Humphrey Street municipal tip, now a park, note the gas vent pipe in the foreground.
Photo CDM 2019
By 1961, the Humphrey Street tip was nearing completion, and Sedgley UDC had already purchased another suitable piece of land near the 'The Alley' in Gornal Wood, an old coal mining area.
During 1962 and 1963, the Humphrey Street tip was still being used for Sedgley district's waste.
In 1964, the Humphrey Street tip was completely filled, this tip had been in operation for 30 years and by then had been filled up to road level.
This former tip, now reclaimed, provides a small park and public open space.
During 1964, the new tip in The Alley was commissioned, an area at the foot of Turners Hill dotted with old mines, clay pits and quarries.
By 1965, the Alley site was the principal tip for the area.
The waste site was restored and returned to nature by the end of the 1970s.
The Sewers and Treatment Works.
Lower Gornal and Gornal Wood lagged behind Sedgley and Upper Gornal, and up until 1923 were without any form of public sewer system.
The problems in laying the system was mainly due to landowners not being co-operative.
However, by 1924, a suitable site was found at Gornal Wood for sewage disposal, on the South side of the Himley Road with access at Askew Bridge.
At first Sedgley U.D.C. encountered poor co-operation from landowners due to the possible mineral deposits there, work was delayed while the Council persued compulsory purchase of the land.
By 1927 the site had been secured and the work commensed, connecting dwellings to the new disposal system.
It appears that the treatment works was operational by 1930 and has been expanded and updated over the years, it occupies a large site but well hidden from view.
At one time Lower Gornal did have it's own police station or police house, where this was actually located is not confirmed, but thought to be in the vicinity of the Five Ways.
Early references suggest that the constabulary was at No. 88 Ruiton Street, very near to the 'Chapel House Inn' (Miner Arms).
Constables, William Worsey and Charles Longsdale lived at that address in 1881, this could have been the police house from that time.
The 1891 Census reveals that police constables, Henry Sutton & Oliver Harvey were now resident at No. 88 Ruiton Street.
After 1901, it is thought that the station moved to Lake Street, again the location is not known.
The only references found of a police station, span the 1880 to 1910 period.
The Lower Gornal police station is mentioned in a couple of newspaper reports.
A disturbance in 1903, refers to P.C. Hopson having to "take the prisoner to the Police Station at Lower Gornal"
And in 1907, another disturbance, where six persons raided Lower Gornal Police Station and assaulted two police officers.
There was also an inference about the police station in the attempted murder of the Vicar of St. James in 1879.
Most of the minor offences like drunkenness and affrays were dealt with by Sedgley Magistrates, more serious crimes at Stafford.
Several dignitaries from Gornal were JPs, including Rev. James Yates Rooker and John Lloyd Gibbons
this aye fur noggin yeds